1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got some really good cool strings to reccomend.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yngwie 4String, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    So check this out, they are called BLUE STEEL and they are manufactured by DEAN MARKLEY. They crygenitcally freeze the strings so that they last longer and respond better. They are availible in Light, Light with heavy bottom, Med, Heavy, and custom sizes. I just heard about them and tried them. I like them over D'addario, GHS Boomers, and Elixirs.

http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Bass/BlueSteelBa.shtml

2. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    i will give them that they have all of the high end shrillness of hi beams without the floppiness

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree that the hype is pretty cool, but the strings are just average.

My guitar playing brother used them on his Strat until I strung him up with XL's. Never overlook normal strings without hype. I don't buy into it, but if you like the strings, congrats. They're not for everyone.

4. be careful...because, what sound good on 25" scale 6-string guitars may be totally different on 34" scale basses...

I love D'Add XL's on some of my basses...but I tried them on my Yamaha Pacifica "strat-like" guitar and I really couldn't get into the tone (too hard to tame, too shrill)...I switched to a heavier gauge "no name brand" and I quite like the tone of these...

Personnally, I'm not into the "cryogenic thing" either...perhaps I should grab some dry ice and treat my own strings ;)

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I used Blue Steels on my slap bass. I liked 'em much. Zingy string with a long life.
    Used 'em until I read Markley was going to change the blend to a nickel steel.

I then switched to LaBella SuperSteps which are a zingy steel string. Rough to the touch, but who cares?

I have heard that Markley went back to an all steel string for Blue Steels.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    LaBella SuperSteps are excellent strings.

7. They're great for bright zing, but that's about it. I only use them on my EMG PJ bass. The pick and slap tone are about as in your face as it can get. I don't find them to be particularly long lasting strings. When they die, it's a pretty sterile sound.

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Wow, I used these strings in the 80's. Thanks for the heads up.....
    :rolleyes:

Terrible strings. I'm surprised they've continued selling them as long as they have.

9. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    cryo... what crap! i tried the GHS ones too back in like 91, what a waste.