1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got some sweet TV exposure this morning

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TheXym, May 11, 2010.

1. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    The three piece I'm in plays the Wine and Chocolate Festival every year in Montrose, PA. This year it's on this Saturday (May 15th) 3-7 PM. We're the opening act, and Dana Fuchs, who had a song on the Across the Universe soundtrack is headlining.

One of the local news stations did a morning show in town at the chocolate shop as a promo, and we played several times. There are a couple of clips up from the show already, here's a link: The Lonnie Griffiths Band on WNEP

There are several clips, we're in the ones about the Wine and Chocolate Festival. It was a pretty good time. We got to load in last night and dial in the sound, then show up at 4:30 AM this morning for the gig. We thought we'd only be there from 5-7, but the host asked us to stay for the 7-9 slot, and thanks to a couple of co-workers covering the drummer's and my first period classes, we were able to. He also said he wants to book us for a couple of events this summer. :bassist: They even gave the website for the band a mention during the broadcasts, and linked on the news channel's homepage, unfortunately, the page is WEAK and has needed to be redone for over a year. :scowl: The recordings on our website feature the former bassist, and none with the current lineup.

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Very cool!

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Very cool indeed. Sounded good for TV type stuff. I notice the temperature, that's a bit chilly. Is the drummer female? Congrats on the deal. :cool:

4. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Yeah, it was about 42 degrees outside when we started. The drummer is female. She's a phys ed teacher in the school where I teach, and she's got a phenomenal sense of time, and is very tasteful with her playing - completely defying the drummer stereotype (how do you tell your stage riser is level? the drool comes out of both sides of the drummer's mouth). She's also extremely witty. It's a fun group to play in.

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Again, sweet deal. It's always nice to see females in non-traditional roles in bands. :cool:

6. Kudos.

7. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Agreed about the non-traditional roles. :) The morning show host was a bit freaked the our drummer was female, but in a good way.

8. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    That's my neck of the woods. Gotta love WNEP. Sounded good, and you can't beat that kind of exposure.

9. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    BassMaster - shoot me a pm with your gig schedule, I'd love to check out a fellow TBer sometime. We're playing for that festival from 3-5 Sat. in Montrose.

WNEP is a good station, they do a lot for local things, and we were thrilled with the exposure. We're also looking forward to finding out more about the gigs Ryan Leckey (the morning host) wants to book us for.