Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

... got Status?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuoLi, Mar 5, 2002.

1. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I haven't posted here since the "My Carvin is going back" thread. Here's the next installment in my quest.

I recieved my Status in the mail yesterday from GGuitars in New Haven. I was looking at a Modulus at BassNW and I saw this. I decided to jump on it. It's a Classic S2 model with a deep set in graphite neck, Status hyperactive pickups (18v), 3 band EQ, 3 way selector switch, and gold hardware. And it looks really nice. It was used but I got a good price for it.

This thing is build like a rock. Really solid. After playing this for a while, I played my Dean and that felt very fragile in comparison.

The next couple items are what's happening currently. The strings are a little dead, so I'll be taking care of that tonight.

The pickups are a little weird. The output wasn't as hot as I expected. It's an 18v system, and I didn't see a huge output. With the EQ on my amp set flat, as well as on the bass, the low end was weak. I can crank up the bass EQ on the bass and it's there in spades, but I don't recall having to do that with the Carvin I had. I'll have to get some good quality batteries tonight as well. The sound is very clear though. And I can get a really good slap tone out of this thing.

The other thing is the "rear pickup" sound. While playing on the front pickup, switching to the rear pickup doesn't give you that really growly sound. You need to back off the mids a little, and hit switch to the 3rd position. Then it's there. I never had to do that before. I just had to select the rear pickup.

Out of the box (it was 10 degrees F yesterday) the action was pretty high. I wasn't expecting this, because I thought graphite was imune to these sort of things. I did some truss rod adjustments to get it a little lower, but it's still a little high.

This plays really nice though. The sound is pretty damn good (I had to search for this a little), and it looks stunning, but there are issues I have to deal with. I have until tomorrow afternoon to make up my mind. Right now it looks like it's going back. But new strings should make a big difference.

So if any Status owners can share any experiences, that would be cool.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a bit surprised by some of your experiences, but then again, I'm not...

I've never owned a Status, but have played dozens. It's the only graphite-necked instrument I like enough to buy (though I did once buy a Modulus Quantum). I've always seen Status set-up with INCREDIBLY low action! The lowest I've encountered, which is why I'm surprised that you have high action. But, then again, it may be fixable with a simple setup.

The tone thing is weird. IME, Modulus and Status are similar in one respect: that the low end is so clear that it seems like you're hearing far more of the harmonic overtones than the fundamental in comparison to other instruments. That may explain why you don't seem to hear lows. It's just a guess, and maybe I'm way off base. Perhaps a battery will fix this.

But, aside from all this, I've found Status' to be very flexible and love the feel! I may pick one up, one day, if I can find the deal I'm looking for. Right now, those I've found in Chicago are just way too expensive.

3. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hm. The output thing is weird, every Status I've played has BRUTAL output. Try replacing the batteries.

Onto the growly back pickup..I don't know what to tell you. On the empathy 6 I've played the back pickup wasn't so much growly as it was "springy". It was clear as a bell, but it still had minor growl.

About the action being high, have to messed with the bridge? All graphite necked basses are capable of extremely low action (In my experience :p), especially strata...in fact, Trip Wamsley's Stealth II is one of the easiest playing fretlesses I've played EVER.

FWIW, I'm just about ready to sink some cash into a headless stealth II with front red LEDs..should be killer :)

I say shoot Rob Green an email before you decide, you can get his email off the Status Webpage (www.status-graphite.com )

4. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the replies. I'm getting new batteries tonight on the way home and I'm taking it over to a guitar shop that wants to sell Status basses (it's a newer store). They guy there is saving me some nickel plated strings in a light guage ( D'Addario ). I'll see if he can do anything about the action as well.

This wasn't what I expected either. The pickup performance is kind of lame and the high action I wasn't expecting at all.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried contacting GGuitars, since you bought it from them? Can they help you out in any way?

6. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I sent some e-mails to him earlier but he hasn't replied. The other thing is they are in New Haven, and I'm in Columbus, OH. I still have the trial period thing happening. If I send it back, that'll mean I don't want it. I still have time.

7. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    LuoLi,

I'd look into that pre-amp. I remember GGuitars listing the bass as having a Bartolini pre-amp. Status uses their own electronics, so maybe there's a problem with the aftermarket pre-amp?
    Same thing with the rear pickup issue. Turning that balance knob should give you a TON of different sounds.

I've had several Status' and every one has a very solid output...

You may want to give Rob or Dawn a call at Status.

8. I have major gas for a status. My teacha has a pair of sixes (S1 fretless, S2 fretted). I didn't think I would like them, but they are VERY nice. He had really low action, led's too.

9. At a local store they have a used Status. The model name is "Energy Artist". Mahogany body and walnut top is the only real info they give. The rest is stuff like "2 active humbuckers" that kinda thing. Anyway, it's selling for $1200 Canadian. It seems to be in rather good condition. I can't see anything wrong with it from the pics. What do you guys think?

10. ok, since wen has your truss rod had anything to do with the action?????, unless u got one hell of a lot of relief and its high in the middle, but that should be visable....just adjust your saddle heights accordingly!

*Si*

11. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    OK ... Went to the guitar store last night and the owner just loved this thing. I got D'Addario nickel plated strings. Also figured out the bridge adjustment thing. There is a locking screw in there and you have to loosen it up before you can lower the bridge. I've never seen this before (I have a Dean.... ). So I got it home, put the new strings on it, lowered the bridge, and now I'm very happy. The output is there and it's more playable than ever.

Thanks to all that replied.

Hopefully in another 6 months I'll be on here rambling about my new fretless .. :)

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I think you just answered your own question;)

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Keep us informed!:D

BTW: What model is it?

14. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    It's a Classic S2 model.

It's still a work in progress but it's pretty bass ass right now.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    NICE!!!:D:D:D

16. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I meant to say "It's a pretty BAD ass".

DOH!!

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I thought as much.:p 5-strings, right? I thought I saw gguitars had a 5-string on their website a few days ago that's now gone. If it's the one I'm thinking of, that looks like one SWEET bass!!!

18. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    That is the bass... Looks better in person.

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    GEEZ!!!:mad:

I'm holding out for 2 basses, right now: a Status 4-string (which is why I didn't inquire about that one) and an MTD 535.

Those Status' I've played are really awesome instruments!:D I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I think you will.:D

20. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Yo, RAM and others. If you are looking for a UK bass (eg Status:)) they are often cheaper over here, and there are prob more second hand ones available. You would have to pay shipping and tax but it may end up cheaper? Try looking at Loot:
    www.loot.com

*It is nearly 4am here and my brain is a bit frazzled atm so sorry if this makes no sense:D*

Matt