1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got stuck mid-bassline writing :P any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by yoshi, Aug 24, 2002.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    yo these last few days ive been writing a 'dreamy' bassline which is to be played beneath a separate guitar part.

It was all going fine, until yesterday morning i hit a point where whatever i tried it just didnt sound good. This caused me to use a lot of root, 5th and 8th chords, which sound ok at the time but wont sound much good at all in a metal song. Any suggestions would be nicely accepted.

Ill try to record the so far of it

2. What are the chords?

Um, a root can sound perfectly fine in a "dreamy" bassline if the right tone is attatched to it. Vibratos do wonders, pluck the string near the 12th fret or so, vibrato that sucker, and you can get a "dreamy" tone, though I'm not sure what dreamy is.

You might want to look into using extended stuff as well, I'd go with 10ths though, they have a very tripped out sound if applied right.

3. Try switching those 5ths and 8ths for flat fifths and flat sevens. Lots of vibrato/bends achieves an airy, dreamy type of sound.