1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got the Band Back Together! For the weekend anyway...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Barisaxman, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Random musings on a weekend where some of my greatest friends reformed the band we started almost 15 years ago to play a couple gigs. It's been about 4 years since the last time we got together last time, so we threw ourselves a Friday night gig in the 4H building next to the wedding venue (that how it's done out in the sticks, folks!) to break off some rust and have a little fun. Two of the band members are originally from town but we've all met in/around Omaha. Without further delay, in my best BassCliff narrative style...

The drive, 5 hours to the northwest...Valentine, NE...look it up, it really is far from EVERYTHING!
    IMG_20181207_153635066.

The old railroad bridge, which is now a trail...
    IMG_20181207_155443309.

Sent up the PA and my trailer with our guitarist the night early, so just a little setup for our "shed" party :) The heat worked, and it's well insulated, so the acoustics were WAY better than you'd think...I've had some nightmare gigs as a sound guy in buildings like this.
    IMG_20181207_190253639.

We had a few hundred people through the door, and made enough on cover charges to more than make it worth our while. The local bar setup shop, and by all accounts had a VERY good night of sales. Here, guitar-slinging John gets photo-bombed by his lead-singing wife while probably giving me a dirty look for missing a key change. Hey, it was ONE rehearsal! :)
    FB_IMG_1544463223136.

Kentucky-Trav laying it down...kid was 18 when we started playing...and he wore the "minor" badge of shame to many a show....ridiculous talent.
    FB_IMG_1544463183765.

Me n Troy holding down the other end of the stage.
    FB_IMG_1544463190553.

Me, guitar-slinger John, and Kentucky-Trav...we were all part of each others' weddings. We don't play as a band anymore...well not regularly...yet (haha), but it's a hella-lotta fun when we do.
    FB_IMG_1544463238866.

Second night we moved the gear next door for a wedding. Along with that comes the obligatory food-shot. Here in cattle country, steaks rule...

IMG_20181208_175640676.

I think I've got a few wedding shots downloaded to the pc. More fun in cowboy country for sure...unfortunately the drive never gets any shorter coming back to the city and work on Monday. I'll add a few more pics when I get them. Cheers!

nixdad, Haroldo, Sore Thumb and 20 others like this.
  2. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Sounds like you all had a great time. Digging the Reverend!

3. portpc

portpc

May 31, 2011
    Nice photo-shoot, You had me at the "Steaks Rule" picture!!

Sore Thumb and JRA like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it's always good to play with old bandmates/friends. glad your 'reunion' was both fun and profitable. congrats! :thumbsup:

Sore Thumb likes this.
  5. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Cool report. My brother lives in La Vista. You’re right it is far from everything.

6. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    That looked like a ton of fun. Can't beat playing with old friends! :)

Sore Thumb likes this.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

This is pretty fantastic! That's a long drive but it sounds like it was well worth the effort. I get together with my dear old friends/bandmates maybe once or twice a year. It's a treat. I'll bet you guys really tore it up back in the day, seems like a good crew. Thanks for taking us along.

I visited my folks when they lived in Nebraska. I like that kind of wide open spaces.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  8. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Nice report, looks like a good time for everyone. Good on ya for breaking even on the door.

9. Not much better then playing good music with old friends!

Sore Thumb likes this.
  10. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Yep. When somebody asks why, this is the "becuz".

Similar story here - the band pulled the plug a few years ago when everybody (other than no-life bass player moi) got too busy to keep it going. Time went by and a couple friends of the band were getting married, so we got asked to play a set. A dj dude - also a bass player in a sharp 80's band - took care of the rest of the evening.

We had one set plus a couple spares all dusted off and when it was time to play, it was just like riding a bike. We were really surprised with how easy it was to jump back in - sounds like your gig was much of the same. Cool story - and pics!!

Something to be said for letting the batteries recharge. It's FUN when it's fresh!

Haroldo, Sore Thumb and McG like this.