Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got the BB fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chasarms, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Just a quick follow up. I know you were all waiting with baited breath.

I got the Yamaha BB fretless that I wrote about a week or so back. It is in pretty good shape. Natural alder finish. I find that a rarity, but it actually looks pretty good. Almost like a tung oil kind of look. A slightly darkened satin. Should I post photos? It isn't exactly a quilt Sadowsy. Maybe it is time for another round of show off the children.

Very quiet pickups. Decent output. Nice,warm, toney sort of vibe. Neck is a dead ringer for a jazz bass. Slick as can be.

Mwhaa factor is about a 7.5 out of 10, but that is without EQ tweakage. I should be ableto make 8 with the right EQ and a little more setup work. The strings are a little dead.

I read that action effects the Mwhaaa factor. Thoughts?

Also, it was shipped in vintage Fender case. Anyone needing a vintage case to go with their vintage P or J, drop me a PM.

Chas

2. Sounds like a good deal to me. Post some pix. I've also read that setup affects mwah a great deal. I wouldn't know because I don't have a fretless...yet. Dead strings are always bad. On my RBX I had to live with dead strings for about a month. I barely played it, it sounded so...dead. No more. I'm sure yours will be a total beast with the "bare necessities". :)

3. Yep, lower the action for more mwah. As the string ocillates, it changes pitch slightly as it get microscopically longer and shorter with each vibration. It makes contact with more or less of the fretboad depending on which way it is swinging. As it swings towards the board it gets shorter, away, longer. Creates a chorus effect.

So, the lower the action, the more board the string contacts on the down swing, the more variation in pitch, the more mwhaaa.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Damn. I thought you had got the Carvin Bunny Brunnel Bass. I love that bass!

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would love to have one of those. It pretty much addresses everything I hated about the two LB75s I owned. Wider neck, better balance. Assymetrical neck. Throw in the new 35.25" scale and I am sold.

Chas

6. Forgot to mention this in first post: YES!

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Absolutely. Just as a side note: It amazes me that some people think that mwah = fretbuzz. I had brought my fretless 6 to a luthier once, and when I got it back, he had set the action up really high. When I asked him why, he said it was to get rid of "fretbuzz". I went home, and had to lower the action myself to get my mwah back. :)

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Excellent bass, very affordable! :)

10. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I don't know if anybody else knows this,but Yamaha's BB series was also co-designed by Bunny Brunnel.So Carvin's and Yamaha's BB actually mean the same person.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Dana Carvey doing Johnny Carson voice on:

I did not know that.

Voice off.

That is very cool. I have always have a special place in my heart for those Yamaha BB basses. I guess that makes it more interesting to consider a Carvin BB.

Chas

12. Wow, I had not realized Brunnel was such a big deal back in the 70's that Yamaha would go to him for bass design. What was he doing back then that gave him that kind of influence?

13. I know who he is, but, doesn't Bunny Brunnel sound like a girl that would show up at a bachelor party?

Mike J.

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yep. I would guess that there is a certain self-security that many men don't have that allows a man to look another squarely in the eye and anounce:

"Hello, my name is Bunny."

"Nice, to meet you, Buddy."

"No, that's Bunny."

"Bunny?"

"Bunny."

Nice to meet you, uh, Bunny."