Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got the cops called... because the bass was too loud

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kosko, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    So, the cops showed up at the door, consistently, when we played. It is my house we play in and when they showed up and said the bass was heard down the street, I couldn’t help but smile. I love my Ampeg, that sweet creamy syrup of sound that can be enjoyed for blocks.

But, were a considerate group of guys. We want to play uninterrupted so we decided to move everything in the basement, I even picked up renters insurance just incase of flood or anything.

Just so you all understand this as well, were not close to our neighbors. It’s a suburb, north is a creek, west is one house about 20 feet away, east is a road then a street of houses roughly 100 feet away, south is our backyard then a house, likely another 100 feet away.

Now we use one half of the basement, the other half is storage and whatnot. It’s an old style house, thick beam construction, and stone foundation, half above half below ground. The house is two stories, basement, first floor (kitchen, living and bath) then the upstairs is the bedrooms and another bath. Now the problem is that the cops showed up still. Moving into the basement didn’t solve the problem, though it is a tad quieter.

What I’m thinking is to create a wall to section off the half of the basement we do use, cover that wall and the ceiling with sound foam, a couple bass traps and maybe even that vinyl looking stuff that you can use as another layer. So we would be surrounded by walls with sound protection and foot thick stone walls around the foundation.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? And does it work? How do you all get around people calling the cops on you when you try to practice? We like the energy of playing loud, so we don’t really want to turn down. And were not even death metal for that matter, were more like classical jazz rock / prog. Go figure.

Kind of funny though, almost all the cops that have showed up have said, “Man, I’m sorry, I was out there listening for 15 minutes and really enjoyed it… but some of your neighbors have complained. So I have to ask you guys not to play right now. But man, it did sound pretty cool.”

2. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    We rented a rehearsal room after the same thing happened to us. That bass will travel no matter where you stick it.

3. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    foam doesn't work well the bass frequencies got straight through do yourself a favor and go to www.recording.org and check out their acoustics forum its moderated by Rod Gervais a friend of mine and he has deisgned and built sound stages and recording studios and has published a book about building acoustically ideal home studios he is also an expert in keepind sound in a room check it out he's very knowledgeable

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    It's hard to get around the loudness of the bass. building a second set of walls, and make sure everything's sealed tight, may be your only way to go. since your basement is 1/2 below ground, make sure your windows are sealed when you rehearse.

You may want to ask a mod to move this to the Recording forum. Somebody there might have a better idea or a similar situation. One quick fix you could try, is get some of those office dividers. We used them to build a vocal booth, and they seem to work pretty good.

5. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but thank you for the responses so far. I'll definitly be checking out recording.org

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    D*mn bass players, always causing problems .... :scowl:

Yeah, you either need to have really understanding neighbors or move into a rehearsal studio. I've never been in a home setting that was really "sound-proof", and now that your neighborhood is sensative to the sound, you'll probably always have issues.

7. Back when I was in high school,(13 years ago) I was in a jam band and we had the same problem.
    We were in a basement, no windows, we covered the walls and celieng with foam, then old carpet. No dice. We still were heard around the neighborhood. On our third "offence", we received a $144 ticket. That was the end of that band.

A practice space where noise isn't an issue is a hot commodity around here. I'm lucky now. I practice in a loft above the garage with nieghbors on both sides, but about 1/2 mile away. (they still hear us, but as long as we practice at appropriate times it's all good) On the front is 1/4 mile, then a road, the 1/2mile untill the next nieghbor. In the back is Lake Michigan. (hopefully we don't disturb too many boaters:D )

Good luck finding a spot. I know how frustrating it can be.

8. hang gym mats along the walls, about 3-4" away from the wall surface,to deaden the soundwaves... especially in corners (bass traps) and get yer cab off the floor (put it on a crate or something) and see if it helps. AND, TURN DOWN A TAD. :D

9. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    If the floor and walls are bare try putting down some carpet to muffle the sound.

10. 20 and 100 ft. are not far distances at all.. For reference, a standard sedan (Taurus) is about 16-18 ft. long. Hell, in my area, if a cop can hear your system [car audio] from 25ft. away it's a $77 ticket, and doubles everytime. So, the trick is to disguise your car, and sit upright, and don't "nod ya head" lol :p :D

-ryan-