Got the Cyclops back

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Al Steen, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    Turned out to be a blown 15. Guess that's what I get for running it bridged, oh well.

It was out of warranty for a month and they replaced the speaker for nothing so that's good but they had it for a month so that's not as good but everyone was pleasant, they kept in touch and answered all my questions so overall I can't complain. I give 'em a B+. If they could knock the turnaround time to 2 weeks I give 'em an A.

Carvin Cyclops, Still the best bang fer yer buck out there! .. Al

PS I checked out the 8x10 cab and it looks pretty good. not as large as an svt but it sounds very similar with an r1000.
    Worth looking into if you are thinking of something really big!

they also had a setup of their 2x18 sub on its side with 2 4x10's on top with 3000 watts. muy macho!!! could prolly use it for demolition :D pax
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Al - Wish we could have told you about that bridged thing before it happend. I'm surprised the Cyclops didn't blow much sooner. I tried it pushing in the switch ONCE, (for about 5 seconds), and I immediately thought, "No, this is too loud to be healthy."

I was thinking about that 18", 800W folded horn Carvin has for $530 and getting rid of my 18" cab. Not that the cab doesn't get noticed by seismologists, but from the description, (e.g., "EARTH SHAKERS!", et al), it sounds like it could be the motherlode, as opposed to front loaded cabs, like the 2x18". The DJ thing has really got the club goers spoiled for bass around here. They can't get enough.
  3. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    A month to replace a blown speaker???

That's preposterous -- that's a 15 minute job. My 10-year-old could do it.

I love my Carvin bass, but I've always thought they did some wacky things with their amps. Like in this case -- if it can't run as configured, then there's a design problem.

I was considering one of their combos about five years ago -- a PB300, I think it was, 300-watt head and a 15-inch speaker. Problem was, the way it was configured the speaker impedance was a mismatch to the amp -- the only way to get the full 300 watts out of that thing was to DISCONNECT THE INTERNAL SPEAKER AND USE TWO EXTERNAL FOUR-OHM CABS. Weird.

I know folks swear by them, and I'm sure the quality and sound are good, but design flaws like those make me a little skittish.
  4. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I don't see it so much as a "design flaw", per se, as Carvin's simply designing heads with the primary goal of powering stacks, rather than combo rigs. Both of their big combos with the R600 amp are a case in point. That R600 is designed to really "shine" when driving either multiple cabinets in a stack or one big cabinet (like an 8x10). They put it in a combo and it's really a little overkill for the combo speakers itself. However, if you are like me and want to have both combo amps AND stacks, then it makes perfect sense. When I play in small jazz situations, the combo with the 2x10 is plenty. When I play with funk groups, I put the combo on top of a bigger extension cabinet and let the amp stretch to its limits.

Rick - I'm still not impressed by that new horn subwoofer. It just looks like a boomy cab from the technical description. There are a lot of other models (from other mfrs.) I'd consider for bass guitar before I'd look seriously at that one. I'd think it would be fine for serious kick drum reinforcement, though.

- Mike
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

MIke - I'll take that seriously as I consider you an expert. I guess you're looking at the frequency response graph and I really have never been taught how to read those.

Guess I miss my old Cervin-Vega B-36 Earthquake. But they're so expensive these days.
  6. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Lots of fun correspondence with you today, Rick! :) Anyway - the way to read them is first try to understand the scales used. Frequency response charts are usually "log-linear", which means the frequency is plotted logarithmically, so that each "decade" or 10x frequency appears at equal distances along the horizontal axis. So you see vertical lines for 20, 200, 2000, and 20,000 Hz. at equal spacing. The vertical axis is linear in dB (although decibels themselves are logarithmic quantities). First thing to do is find the "base level" response output - the part of the curve that appears to be flattest. That is what you might think of as "0 dB" reference. Loudspeakers' responses fall off at the extremes of their range, so you see the curve diving down on either side. For most audio applications, the points on the curves that lie about 3 dB below the base level are important "cut-off" frequencies. This means that the response is starting to fall off - a "knee" in the curve. The other points of interest are often either -6 dB or -10 dB. For sound pressure level, -10 dB corresponds to 1/10 the acoustic power received at the microphone, which seems about 1/2 as loud to the human ear.

Okay - enough of the tech. lecture for now. The graph that Carvin published for their folded horn is almost impossible to read, because the numbers are tiny. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of flat, base level response - it seems rather "peaky" to me which, in its operating range (50-350 Hz. according to the catalog), tends to translate to "boomy". Just my opinion, and I welcome intelligent rebuttals, as always! Please compare that to, for example, Carvin's 1584 PA speaker. The latter's response is relatively flat from about 50 Hz. to 17kHz, according to the graph they show.

You are into serious rumble, my man! I would have loved to see your old Fender 400 PS with the three 18" folded horns all firing. I'm surprised your bones are still intact!
    - Mike
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I beg to differ, my friend -- putting a head in a combo that can't handle it is the DEFINITION of a design flaw. I suspect they do it as a cost-cutting measure.

I understand what you're saying about using multiple cabs and having versatility (I subscribe to the same theory and practice). But other manufacturers seem to be able to provide this functionality without cramming components together that are NOT matched.

If the amp in the combo has a feature that won't work with the combo -- or in this case, will damage it -- that's a design problem. They ought to find a way to remedy it in the design (put a governor on it, disable the feature, etc.) -- or at the very least document it in the users manual to help owners avoid the problem (which perhaps they do in this case -- haven't seen the Cyclops manual).