Got the Czech spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 29, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    Its a great bass. It feels really solid and powerful (heavy too)

It is extremely different than the warwick.

I have a couple of questions...old czech owners:

What are the controls? Its not volume, balance, treble, and bass like you would expect. I think it is level (bridge), level (neck), bass, treble. Only two knobs have notches at the 1/2 way point, I am almost positive they are the eq.

Is your preamp or pups super strong? If I turn the eq knobs up all the way, my sound clips like crazy. I made sure and put a new battery in first thing, so its not a problem with the battery. I love the sound with the two knobs (without notches in them0 turned up all the way. That has to be one of the best sounds I have heard.

I have a tone knob that wasnt cut straight...Can I ask MF to send me just a knob? I would rather not send the whole thing back unless the eq is messed up too.

Any answers is a big help!

I will try to do a bigger "ns5cr vs FNA" later on

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The 2 w/out the notched are volumes & the other 2 a bass & a trebble cut & boost. Do you have the bass in your amp's active section (either a switch or seperate input for active basses) also, maybe you might want to play around with your amps EQ.

If it's just the knob & the pre-amp works find, I'd personally not worry about it. cause it'll cost you 18.95 x 2 to get a new one to you.
  3. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    I have an ampeg B2-R head. There is a pad that takes it down like 10 db or so, I always have that on...Does it hurt the amp to have the clip and limiter light come on?

I dont know what to do if it is hurting it.
    I will have to actuall cut the frequencies it shines on and boost the quiter ones :(

*also- i ordered on the phone, but then a friend noticed that you get free shipping on orders on $199* I called back and said I found the ad for the bass on the net, had questions, and just decided to order over the phone, but would have ordered online if I knew it would save me and they gave me the $19 it took to ship it here, free. I suggest 'yall who jhust bought new guitars call them and get your money! (if you didnt already order on the net)

Thanks nino, love the music man. PS I am going to take a weekend trip to NYC just for the sights, any dates you have that thereom will be playing?

Thanks again

4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    can you buy me one too?
  5. Hey MeTTaLLoiD, congrats on the new bass. It looks like a few of us around here got some sweet deals from MF. On the issue of clipping and limiter lights. I believe that clipping the amp is bad for solid state (both preamp and poweramp clips), bu tthe occasional preamp clip is fine. If the limiter light is on, that's fine. It means its just doing its job (well limiting...). Couple things that could be done:

1. turn down preamp gain on amp
    2. use pad (which I think you are)
    3. turn down overall volume on bass
    4. don't boost anything too much (on bass and amp)
    5. lower pickups

Any one or combination of these should do the trick. I noticed on my Czech that it has an extremely hot output campared to my other 2 basses.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've been clipping my amp for years. Never did any damage except to my ears LOL. Really, I don't think it'll do any real damage, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the complements on the music. We have no shows planned at the moment & we might be taking some time off to write & record new songs. E-mail me when you'll be in & I'll give you any info then.

Once again, Congrats on the awesome bass.
  7. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    Nino: when you got yours out of the box...Were there old strings on it? (the lace is purple on the top 4 and the B has black lace, so I figure they are mixed and old, they sound crappy)

Did you have any string buzz? I havent set it up yet, and dont know much about setting up guitars, so I will have a tech look at it. There is definetly some buzz on mine at the moment...

The pickup height was so extreme that they were basically touching the strings, so I lowered them... The battery was also pretty weak and I replaced it.

Hope it all works out, spector feels awesome! ~~though~~the string spacing is a little less than I am used to~~(oh well!)
  8. If you "clip" light flashes intermittently then you'll have no problem. If it is a constant long glow then the extreme clipping would cause distortion and could damage speakers at loud volumes. I would like to repeat one recommendation, turn your gain knob down because the Spector is guaranteed to have more output than your other basses!
    Please do your own Spector -vs- Warwick review when you get the Spector all squared away (we'll be waiting). Have much fun with your new bass!!!
  9. We haven't heard your review since you've received your Czech Spector!
    I wish I could have gotten my first (and second) five string Czech Spector so cheap. You guys don't know how good you've got it! I paid $1625 out the door back in '96 for my first and about the same for my second in '97. Although I did get in on the $899 MF special on my four string (three is a charm)!
  10. I still need to take my bass to a tech and slap on some new strings before I give a final review, but here are some of my initial thoughts.

The bass looks absolutely gorgeous. Smooth black finish with the contrasting gold hardware. The bass is a bit heavier than my Q5, but feels so much more solid. And of course, fantastic sound!

I'll keep the Spector crew updated after I see my tech.