Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got the dough to order a new bass...should I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Aug 15, 2002.

1. I saved up the money for a Essex SJB-62 in metallic red and now I'm having second thoughts.....The next 3 months there is so much stuff I want to buy and I won't have the money for most of it if I get the bass.....But the one I have now sucketh...I'm still learning though but I'm afraid I'll get stuck in a rut at where I'm at and playing bass will get boring...I hope it doesn't...and then again I don't think I've ever heard of anyone qutting playing bass after they started....Any insight is appreciated or info on if that's a good bass is also welcome. Wish me luck.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    what's the current bass? I don't think that the essex would be a step up from much.

3. It's a old old Global Bass (sold a JC penny's I believe) many years ago and was given to me, It has a proken pick guard rightaround the amp plug in and is causing difficulties in plugging it into a amp. Also the pickups are messed up and it isn't quite a full sized bass....I think the Essex would be a slight step up.

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    hey hey...but it!...you will be saying "Why did'nt I buy a new bass when I had the money", so don't think about it buy it.:D :D

5. It all depends on what else you want to get.

I have the black SJB-62, and it has become my main player. It is a huge step up from a no name JC Penny bass, IMO. I easily compare the Essex to any MIM Fender as far as playability and sound. It's also over $200 cheaper.

If you want a new bass more than the other things you want, get the Essex. If the other things you want are more important at this point, get them instead and live with the crappy bass.

FWIW, the Essex would be a huge step up, from the bass you just described.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    A slight step-up? I think you'll crap your pants if what I've heard about those Essex basses is true, you won't believe how much better it is to your current bass. I'd buy the bass if I were you.

7. Ok...thanks for your opinions..I think I'll order it, I got to thinking..."I'll have tons more fun and time spent playing bass than if I buy the other things I want." And then I realized that the things I really want don't come out until October or later...which gives me a few months to build up me reserve of cash. Wish me luck!

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Good luck and once you get it don't post a thread until you got pics to go with it. ;) :D

9. Heh I would post a picture of it when I get it but I don't have a digital camera and it would take a long time for me to get around to getting the pictures developed, and I can't wait to show it off until then....But when I get it of course it's going to be stock (hopefully) just as the picture at rondomusic.com has.