Got the Epifani UL 310

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D-funk, Sep 8, 2005.

1. D-funk

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks for the feedback over the last couple of weeks regarding the Epifani UL-410 and UL-310 cabs. I went to Epifani in Brooklyn yesterday and tried each out. The 410 sounded great, so it was hard to have perspective on the dimished volume of the 310 in comparison, but when I got to my real loud rock gig that night, the 310 definitely held up.

The Aguilar AG-500 head I use still clips after the gain is turned past 12 o'clock (even on the UL-410), but has yet to power-off when used with these Epifani cabs (as it always did with the Acme B-2). This fact alone allowed me to rejoice that maybe I'll be sticking with the nicely portable AG for a while after all (plus the dirty channel is a nice amenity).
    I've only used the rig on one gig but I'd almost venture to say the slap-tone is the best I've had from even a 4X10 cab (yes somehow I manage to insert funk on a rock gig), and even in the lofty club space, I could still hear the character of the bass pretty well.

After seeing it, I think the UL-410 would fit in a cab trunk. In my experience usually those trunks are empty and they're very deep because most taxis are Crown Vic's.
    The reason I chickened out on the 410 is that I didn't know if there are any OTHER trunks or backseats that beast might fit into..

Nick Epifani was very helpful and seemed genuinely interested in my situation.
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The depth of the trunk usually isn't the issue it's the size of the opening of the trunk. I have a UL210 and it barely fits in the trunk of my 300E because of the shape, I think it has more depth which is the problem.
  3. D-funk

Nov 28, 2000
    I see. Either way, I figured it would be a tight squeeze at best and would probably get old after a few times... :eyebrow:
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

the 410 does look like it'd fit the back of a (taxi) cab, but most any other trunk? i doubt it.

but nice score w/ the UL310. how long have you had it? give it some more time to break in, and rejoice in the fatness. :cool:
  5. Nice cab!

You will love it!

Did you also tried it with a 502 amp?

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've found that for some reason Epifani cabs take longer
    to break in than most, and there is slightly more change
    in the sound. It just gets better and better. My 310UL
    is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite cabs. Its
    astounding how much good tone comes out of such a small,
    light cab, especially if you have a good amount of power
    to push it. Enjoy the box.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    amen to that... :cool:
  8. D-funk

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes I did. Definitely a more powerful and involved head than the Aguilar. The way it was set I wasn't an immediate fan of the mid-cut feature but I probably would be with some tweaking.. :ninja:
  9. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I found this to be true of the 410UL too. Bit bass shy and recessed in the upper mids at first. Different box after a bit of abuse.