Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got the Fodera NYC today :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allan grossman, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Kewl! I've heard alot about those. How's the tone? Is it more Fodera or Fender like?

2. I don't have a lot of experience with real Foderas, but from the couple hours I've been noodling around with it I'd say both could be possible :)

The bass has single-coil Duncans on it but also has a Pope preamp. I haven't even begun to explore the tonal possibilities. I think it's got a definite vintage vibe going on but I don't know what I'll be able to get from it when I get done spinning all the knobs and flipping all the switches :)

3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    She is beautiful....!

4. Didn't you post this a few days ago? Must be someone else with a new NYC... I have yet to learn to pay attention. It's nice Allan!

5. Nah - that was me, I think.

The last set of pics were taken by the seller - I took these pics today right after I got it.

You're not nearly as senile as we thought, X.

:D

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    was this bass the one off bassgear? i remember when it was originally on ebay for 1200. no one bid so i emailed the seller after the auction. when i asked for some details they told me the bass had been re-necked which wasnt mentioned in the auction text so i stayed away. i assume it then got sold to the person you bought it from.

7. It must be the same bass.

Plays just fine - and neck and body are in amazing shape. I haven't found a finish flaw yet.

8. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thats really cool. I bet it sounds awesome. I've never seen a Fodera like that.

9. The NYC series is their lower-priced line - if there is such a thing as a low-priced Fodera :)

I understand the bodies on these are CNC-machined rather than handmade.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Your NYC is much nicer than mine, Allan. Mine has the Bart NTMB pre and Bartolini pups. It's a '97 model and I've played it since May of '99. I really like it and have been very pleased with tone but since yours seems to be entirely different than mine I'd guess the tone differs as well. If anything yours is probably more versatile. I'd strongly recommend the NYC for anyone that wants a deluxe, higher-end j bass for much less than Sadowsky prices (not that the craftsmanship equals that of the Sadowsky).

[​IMG]

brad cook

11. I think yours is just gorgeous, brad - I like natural finishes.

I think the craftsmanship comes pretty close to Roger's stuff - fit and finish is at least as good as my 55-94.

I'm still sorting a couple of things out - the B string is a little boomy but I think that's because the bridge pickup is angled toward the B string. That's an easy fix.

My Lakland has a bit better B string - but that may just be string choice. It's not floppy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not quite as solid as the Lakland's is. I'm gonna put a set of Lo-Riders on the Fodera and I think the B string will tighten up nicely.

So far I'm pretty happy. I'm gonna get the original tuners and clear pickguard back from Fodera this week - right now it's got Hipshot Ultralites on it and I'm looking for something a little less Fenderish ;)

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah I like my finish a lot. It's a nice lookin' piece of ash. I think I'd probably take that Pope preamp in a second though!

Either way this bass is an absolute steal...especially on the used market!

I found the strings on mine to generally not be as tight as say, most other Fodera models. The only time that I ever have any problem with the tightness though is when I'm trying to do a double-thump type move on the E-string. Since it's pretty rare that I do that though it's usually not a factor. Other than that I really like the tension.

I have the Ultralights on mine too. I use the d-tuner quite a bit...although I don't imagine that the 5 string has the d-tuner since there's not really a need for it.

Glad to talk to another NYC owner Allan. There's not a lot of us it seems! Thanks for the thread.

brad cook

brad cook