Got the Modulus. Now I have a problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Dec 6, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I got the Modulus Q5 from Larry K(fellow TB'r). Yes I know, I dont have pics. I will be borrowing a friends this weekend.

Its older but in surprising good shape. I can see why a lot of people here talk these bass up.

Neck- Well its not as comfortable as the profile of my MTD-King but its not to bad. Action is even and is very flat. Just the way I like it.

Electronics- Well here is the problem. They are 18v EMG with treble, bass and mid cut and boost and it has a sweepable mids. It sounds good and the variety is endless. The sweepable mids is very cool. But the treble boost adds a lot of hiss, but the kicker is that when Im plugged in (Eden WT-400, 4-10 XLT) I get this low rumble that sounds like static from a TV or radio, it makes a woosh sound but it sounds like it maybe reception of some sort. But it sounds like a music beat or something I can turn the volume down on the bass but I still can still here it thru the amp.

What is the problem??

I opened the back of bass to see the control cavity. But it isnt foiled, and it doesnt have that white stuff sprayed in it?? Is it bad shielding??

The band like the bass. There comment was that they can finally hear stuff that I play in songs that they were never able to pick out. They dig it, but the that sound it makes is pretty annoying.

Overall I like it, and it will be a keeper unless I find a graphite bass that fits my hand better or if I cant fix that darn sound.

2. It sounds like it needs to be shielded, but I'm no expert.
  3. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    EMGs are active and require no shielding. There should be some jumpers or switches on the preamp board that can be set to shift the centers of the bass and treble controls (if I remember correctly).

Then, too, I think Modulus has on-line manuals on its website.....
  4. Or perhaps you can call or e-mail Modulus and see what they suggest.
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    They require no grounding to the strings...
    Shielding yes.
  6. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Oops! I seem to recall my Q5 being unshielded, but that's what age does to a bassist!
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

So do you think the lack of shielding will do this??

Im going to look into using different cords etc to see if this is a problem.

Any other ideas?
  8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I have a bass with active EMG's and an active preamp an it needing shielding and grounding. At least the preamp needed to be grounded. You should always have shielding in any cavity. At least that's been my experience.
  9. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    It's more than likely the preamp. EMG's are really quiet. I've only had a his or ground problem when a preamp was involved. Those pesky preamps;)
  10. have you tried a set of fresh batteries?

preamps and EQ's both give VERY wierd results when they arent getting enough voltage!

also, check to make sure that there are no obvious shorts in the battery wiring!

Does the noise become markedly less pronounced if you move around at different angles and distances from any nearby EMI sources??? if it does, then shielding will definitely help!

EMGs DO have very good inherent hum reduction, but a sloppy wiring job in the cavity can induce noise all by itself, and thus you could indeed require some shielding, if you play in a high-EMI area.
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

I will try some new batteries this weekend, along with cords and moving around.

What will the dip switches do???
  12. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR

Very good points!!!
  13. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    The dip switches change the frequency of treble boost and cut. If you've got a system that inherently reproduces the high end very well, any boost on the treble controls of the bass might be too much boost. You might find there's less overall treble noise with a different treble boost frequency.

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I get this low rumble that sounds like static from a TV or radio, it makes a woosh sound but it sounds like it maybe reception of some sort.

I had the same problem with a Pedulla that I owned several years ago. It turned out to be a defective NTBNT Bartolini preamp. It started intermitently and eventually did it all the time until I changed out the preamp. It certainly won't hurt to install some better shielding but I doubt if that's the problem. Typically if it's a shielding problem you can re-postion the bass (away from devices that may be interfering with the electronics) and the noise will go away or at least lessen.
  15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Does anyone have picks of their control cavity of there Modulus Q's preferably with EMG's??
  16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Odie, Did the seller make any reference to sonic problems with the pre prior to taking your money?
  17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nope it was from Larry K. here at TB.
  18. cjlbass

Nov 15, 2002
    The preamp could very well be a problem, but if the noise continues even when the volume of the bass is down it seems a bit less likely. It could also be a bad tube in the preamp. That will be a cheaper fix than a new preamp in the bass, and something you can do quite easily yourself. Just a thought.
  19. odie

odie Supporting Member

This never happened with any other bass, including the MTD Kingston I had there for practice. So I dont think its the amp or cords unless the Modulus is bringing a problem be heard that I couldnt hear before.
  20. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Just so everyone knows - I just bought some cabs from Larry K recently and when I was over at his place to try them out - I used that Modulus bass (to test the cabs) and the bass was DEAD QUIET!

I probably played that bass for at least 1/2 hour and it was quiet as can be.

Could it be a problem with the amp or a bad cord?

I just wanted to make sure this wouldn't turn into a 'bash Larry K" thread!

Larry is a great guy!