Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got the new Deftones Album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DarkMazda, May 20, 2003.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I heard it.. wasn't too impressed.. When I first heard "Hexagram", first track, I was like.. "OMG. Low G# note". I really like Hexagram, but other than that, the songs are very close to White Pony.

Here are some relations I picked up

11 Moana - Reminded of Change (House of Flies)
    08 Lucky You - reminded me of DIgital Bath.. and more

2. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Whats been with the deftones lately? white pony was all sadistic and now this one is probably sadistic also. What happened to Adrenaline and Around the Fur type music? :confused:

3. CKYBassist

CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    i just picked up the new Deftones today also. It's not their best work, but it's still a good CD imho. I particularly like Bloody Cape, Hexagram, and Needles and Pins. I think it could have been a better CD. I think one of the major factors may have been the guitarist urge to make the album "HeAvI3R w/ Da LOw G! WeWT". In short its basically a heavier white pony. 7/10

(i liked white pony better)

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    at the moment, i really like Hexagram.. but man, the chorus.. with the "Bb and Ab notes" damn..

D

5. I think it is decent - I like how the DJ is taking on more of a role in the band. Chi Cheng isn't the greatest bassist every, but does his job well. Probably the song with the best bass lines in it is...Bloody Cape.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Around the fur > Adrenaline > White Pony > This new album

7. :w-hat: there were like 3 good songs on adrenaline, no way is it better than white pony.

8. Yeah, he's crazy. White Pony is their best album...I even like WP over Tool's last one...

9. I haven't heard anything except for Minerva.. But I've gotta have that album soon.

I like all of their albums in no particular order.. They are just different episodes for me.

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Eh,, it's not great IMO. I'm not a Deftones fan anyways, but I thought White Pony had some good songs on it. They just seem to throw chords and lines together and call it a song. I don't really care for Chino's style of singing either, going sharp and flat on purpose. I could swear that I hear the same drum chops on all the albums.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Dunno, maybe im biased for old deftones...

I liked WP a lot but Adrenaline has some "personal" value to me

Also I counted 6 "good" songs :ninja:

12. I'd have to agree with Dave, I think Adrenaline is a great album. I'd say they're all good songs apart from the last one. Whereas White Pony was, for me, a disappointment, and this new album seems to be heading in the same direction, although I've only listened to it once through.

13. well, am listening to the whole thing right now, and i am disappointed. certainly their poorest album.

but even though the songs aren't very inspired, they're still better than any other nu-metal band on style alone. the deftones have, i dunno, atmosphere that nobody else does.

14. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD

15. maybe I'm just weird, but I like it.