Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got the new Dream Theater DVD!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by reasonbass, Oct 5, 2004.

1. All I can say is that it kicks major bootay!!!. No more winamp effects like the last one. The bass sound pretty damn good. Drums are amazing. And you can hear some of the keyboards that were barely audible in Train of Tought.

If you enjoy Dream Theater, I recomend you pick this up.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, I'll have to pick it up. Barely audible keys on Train of Thought?? I think we have different copies! :)

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'll say this about Dream Theater. Their stuff that I like I really really really really like and their stuff that I hate I really really really really hate. No real middle ground.

4. I think its from this years tour. Its Live at the Budokan. its 2 dvd's one has 18 songs that they play live. and the other has a Japanese tour documentary. John Perucci: guitar world, Jordan Rudess: Keyboard World. Mike Portnoy drum solo, Dream Theater Chronicles: 2004. Tour opening video. And a Multiangle of the instrumedley. I haven't seen the 2nd one yet.

The instrumedly is sick!! and in some songs they spice em up a bit. Like in "Beyond This Life" I won't go into details. But im my opinon they kick butt.

5. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    they really no how to put off a good show. THey have such intensity. You can just see it in the way they move. Man they have some of the best stage moves of any band currently touring.

6. What I was trying to say was there are some keyboard parts that I didn't hear before.
    :smug:

But yeah man, pick it up!

So far my favorite DVD's this year are:
    Rush-Live in Rio
    Opeth-Lamentations( i think thats the name)
    Dream Theater-Live at the Budokan. :bassist:

7. I can only assume you're talking about Queensryche and not DT with that comment... The DT shows I've seen, the band has had arguably the worst stage presence I've seen from any band, ever.

8. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Saw this post yesterday and i decided to pick up the DvD, Myung's bass tone is definately up in the mix, Very nice for a change. I only got to watch a bit of it last night though

The documentary of them in japan was cool too, What's up with the interviews though?? First they make Myung dissapear in the mix now he dissapears in the documentary, he only speaks for 20 seconds or so. It's a conspiracy i say. :eyebrow:

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I'll be getting mine in another three or four days, and I can't wait! :hyper:

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Apart from the commentary on the Live In Tokyo DVD re-release...JM hardly says anything...he's apparently a very quiet guy. But in the Live in Tokyo commentary he is actually pretty funny!

11. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    They had good cookies :p

12. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, it definitely kicks ass. I would have paid the full price just for This Dying Soul, Beyond This Life and Stream Of Consciousness, but we get lots of other goodies too! Trial of Tears is damn near orgasmic, the instrumedley is insane, and New Millenium is damn cool (with JM playing the Stick!)

Other highlights: Petrucci's solos at around 4:00 of SoC and in the BTL jam... I've never seen or heard anybody play guitar that fast. And how energetic and intense he sounds when he's playing like that! Incredible stuff.

Although I can't figure out how to get the different angles for the instrumedley on the second disc... :confused:

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

And they had segments for Rudess, Petrucci and Portnoy on the second disc, but not JM :( I would have loved to see what he was playing... I actually dug his tone.

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Just had to add... Stream of Consciousness is freaking amazing! It sounds so epic and powerful... and just watch Petrucci during his solo! :eek:

15. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve just received the DVD.
    I suddenly realized that it was mixed different from other DT albums (guitar and keys were not so upfront).
    I also digged Myung`s sound a lot. His new Yamaha sound issuperb (I guess that the SD Bassline is one of the main reasons). Besides it`s really interesting to see him during the Instrumedley by choosing the camera angle. His right hand technique never ceases to amaze me.