Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got the NEW light CXL-112 today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyGL, Dec 5, 2002.

1. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Got the new light EA cxl-112 today…the bathroom scale says 45lb’s. I just e-mailed EA the serial number to verify I actually got the light one. Hopefully I’ll hear from them tomorrow.

With my Aggie DB359 set flat it sounded excellent…clean, uncolored and very articulate.

I A/B’ed my Eden 210xlt alone and then the cxl-112 alone (both have a sensitivity of 103db)

Alone the 210xlt sounded warmer and louder…but not as articulate

Alone the cxl-112 sounded clean, brighter and very even

Used together they seemed to compliment each other very well. If fact when used together the volume levels between the two cabs seemed much more equal then when used separately. As strange as it might sound, the EA actually sounded a bit louder when used together. Go figure? There really was a very good balance between the two cabs.

Now I want to hear what two cxl’s would sound like together.

Anyway that’s my first take (in my living room) on this little cab. Can’t wait to get it out into the real world. I think I’ll take both cabs to the next gig and do the same kind of comparison.

Andy

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice Andy,

i say ditch the Eden cab, and go with another EA. that'd be quite the wrecking ball, IMHO. :D

btw, the EA cab might seem louder only cause certain freq. from the Eden might start some weird resonances in the EA. weird but true... ;)

3. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    J.

That's a consideration. Two cxl-112's would be cool. What I am hearing on TB from you and others is two 12 " cabs are like. One plus One =Three. That sounds good to me.

Although I haven't tried the two 112's yet, the one 112 and the 210 did sound real good. Two very different cabs yes, but they seemed to work very well together. I did not hear any weird resonance and volumn levels were very close. Playing it out will tell me more.

A.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Andy
    Sounds like and awesome rig! I'm curious about these new 112s. How much louder was the 210? Did it blow the 112 away or was it just slightly louder - maybe due to the low-mid bump? Let us know what EA says about the weight of the new cabs. Every lbs. helps but 4lbs. difference isn't that much.

5. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    The 210 seemed just a tad louder used alone. Not a big difference though and it could be just the way they’re tuned that made it seem that way. Together they were more equal and the 112 did seem to cut through a bit more.

EA did not get back to me yet. I don't expect to hear from them until Monday or so...I'll let you know.

I wonder if the old cxl-112 is actually 49lb's or a bit more or less. Has anyone actually weighed theirs? Your right 4lb’s does not make much of a difference. Who knows maybe they’re all a bit different in weight.

6. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Andy, did EA ever get back to you on the weight? I just got my CxL-112 'lite', and my scale similarly says 44-3/4 lbs. That's a lot more than the advertised 39 lbs. There's nothing on either the outer box or the back plate of the cabinet that indicates it's actually the 'lite' model. Everyone's out of town at NAMM, so I can't get any answers.

7. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Arizona,

Yes they did get back to me and said that the cabs are typical a bit heaver then their rated weight. The old ones were also about 5 lbs or so above the rating. I was told that the textured paint they use is very heavy and sometimes the production workers put on a little more or a little less. My serial number is 112EEL198. If your is after the 198 you definitely have the "light".

What do you think of the cab?

A.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    If they're typically heavier than the rated weight, then why don't they up the rated weight? Oh wait, I know why. :rolleyes: I wonder what other specs are a little here or there, but consistently rated in the "right" direction.

I have a hard time believing that even the entire amount of textured paint used on the box weighs 5 pounds.

9. azbass

azbass

Mar 23, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    My serial number is indeed after yours, so good - I have the "light" one. The sound is phenomenal. I also got the iAMP350 head. My bass is a fretless 4-string passive Jazz. I can't believe the depth available so far already, and I'm just now starting to use it (it just arrived today). I've read some people say it's not very deep or it sounds sterile -- Hardly! I'm thrilled with the sound so far, and I know I'll be able get a lot of variation out of it and the iAMP. That head may have a lot to do with why the sound is so good, making me curious as to what the couple of detractors are using. Then again, tastes do vary.

Howard

After even *further* review this morning (I have a long way to go), maybe the sound *is* "sterile" (i.e., very clean) above the first octave. When standing back about 10 feet or so, the bottom end is very full and smooth - though right up close the bottom seems fairly weak as someone else once mentioned. There are many controls to 'work' on the iAMP head, so one day I'll figure out the right combination for my tastes. I seem to get better 'mwah' with my old Yamaha 15" combo - but that took a while to figure out, too.

10. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    If they're typically heavier than the rated weight, then why don't they up the rated weight?

Geshel…

You make a good point. I just weighed another one (that’s two) personally and it was also 45 lbs. To me the 5 pounds would not make any difference in my decision to purchase this box. It’s still a great sounding cab and relatively light. To give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe their prototype weighed 39 lbs and they rushed to publish this number (who knows that’s just speculation) but I do believe if the EA people want us to trust ANY of their specs then they need to adjust this one.

On a positive note… besides making a great cab, I have the greatest respect for their attitude towards customer service. My personal experience is that these guys go way beyond what we are accustom to expect. Keep up the good works guys but ...change that spec.

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    they just posted a new light 2x10 called the nl210. I'd really like to see one of those.
    [​IMG]

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Damn, sounds suspiciously like Nd magnets are involved.

GAS.

13. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Looks like the new Eminence Deltalite 2510s.
    They are neodymium equipped and weigh about 7 lbs each. Power handling is 300w. RMS. Response curve and efficiency look good. Price is very competitive. I think we'll see a LOT more of these...soon!

Kim