1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got the power cord on the 200s replaced, but it's still blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Mar 28, 2006.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, it's blowing fuses when the amp is on 10. Could this possibly mean the rectifier tube is dying? (after all, it IS a friggin 40-year old G.E.) Also, it only does it when I'm really screaming into the mic (I use it for the PA), and it actually distorts, THEN it blows the fuse. But it usually doesn't distort much at all, and the fuse has only blown twice, the first time it shocked me at the same time, then blew the fuse. When I got the power cord replaced, and brought it home, it was working fine. So today, I was practicing singing & playing White Room (lots of high loud notes), and on one of the really loud ones, it blew the fuse again (but this time, it didn't shock me). Does this sound like a dying rectifier tube? :help:

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Check the Power Tubes. A bad one can make it pop fuses when you really work 'em hard. One other quick thought is, do you have the correct speaker load on the transformer? You don't have 2 8 ohm cabs daisy chained into the 8 ohm speaker out?? Just a thought. If that's the case your lucky to be just blowing fuses.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Everything else is fine, although the power tubes ARE groove tubes, and I've never had good luck with them anyways, but they're relatively new.

4. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I've heard nothing but bad news about the GT power tubes. The life is shorter. I can't remember who straightened people out on GT's business practices, but they are not something to be proud of and you pay for more than you get.

That said, I've never actually heard a GT power tube. Just Mesa ones.

5. It sounds like one or both of your power tubes may be weak or dead, not the rectifier. If it was the rectifier tube, it would be blowing fuses regardless of volume.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That makes sense. It IS alot quieter than the Sceptre.

7. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Any chance the bias is big time off, causing it to sink more current than normal? That, plus the load from your high volume demands might be enough to put if over the edge . . . .

- Tim

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'd recomend a new set of tubes, and a bias job. Ask the Amp Tech to give it a good once over while it's in for the bias job too. Have 'em fix any issues it has, and then you'll be good to go for a good long time, and it'll have a clean bill of health.