Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got the Schro, now a new amp..??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey everyone,

I recently received my new schroeder 410 (not neo Im afraid) and am loving its volume and cutting ability in the mix. I play in a hard rock band (bit of funk as well). Anyway I still feel my sound aint quite there and I wanna upgrade my amp next (currently have a hatke 3500, bass is a Korean Spector Q4 which will also be upgraded down the track). Anyway Ive really goten into the idea of getting a pre/power set up and the 2 pres Im into are the Fender TPI and the Ampeg SVT-CL. The fender already has a overdrive channel so Id have to get a sansamp with the ampeg but that doesnt worry me 2 much (Id use distortion on few songs, not all). They wont both be in the store for me to try for another 3 weeks, Im hanging so was wondering if there were any opinions you might have on these 2 pres?
    Also, as far as a power amp I really wont have that much to spend so my choices are basically down to a Crown HLS or QSC RMX? Theres also the Mackie 1400 i could afford, been hearing good things about those carvins but havent located a dealer in Melbourne. Any thoughts? Weight not a MAJOR concern but Id like tio keep it to under 14, 15 kgs. Thanks heaps

2. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thats the Fender TBP ! pre, sorry for the spelling mistake

3. I tried the Fender TBP-1 it was pretty nice, better than their solid state pre's on their amp lines anyways. It has some funny settings for flat, and an interesting vari Q section, but I didn't like the Distortion on it all that much. The tube sound was definitely there though...

4. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    hmmm, thanks for that. I dont need overbearing 'solo' distrotion, just a bit to beef up the tone on certain tracks

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    nice cab man!!

have you checked out the fender pre at teh bass centre? i'm pretty sure they have one there, and the ampeg too come to think of it...

6. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    thanks dude

yeah thats where Im gonna try em out, they have the fender there but the cl is 2 weeks away so I wanna wait till theyre both there to try em side by side

7. The Schroe is so efficient that you might find that the Ag500 two channel might do the trick. It has a second channel with a 'distortion' sort of control similar to the SansAmp thing.... 500 watts into that Schroe will knock a wall down, you will have money left over, and you will be about 20 pounds lighter... just a thought.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You might consider an eden navigator and qsc plx 1602...
    Or, if you can get past a pre/power setup, Thunderfunk!

9. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    K jung- yeah I checked out the ag 500 onc e and to be honest I wasnt impressed. However when I go to try the pres Il give it another go with the schroeder see how it goes, I think it was hooked up to a goliath last time.

Chef- Yeah mate, I was actually really keen on the eden pre a while back, when I played a wt 550 I loved it, just bit worried about it in a hard rock setting, while it sounds great seems like its more suited to different styles. Also havent heard of many people playing an eden with a pick in an aggressive manner (only do it on a couple of songs though).
    Just had a look at the QSC plx line, and its really impressive, biut lighter too, might have to save a little longer but should be worth it, thanks.

P.S- I have thought about the thunderfunk, but unfortunately have nowhere to try it before I buy it, although it is available from greensquare music, there an online distributor however.

10. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Hey VinPaul-I have a Schro 410 and a Hartke 3500...the Hartke isn't enough amp IMHO(Its now my home practice amp) and I went around and tried a whole bunch of amps and to make a long story short-I got the Yorkville XS800...800 watts into 4 ohms,hybrid ss/tube preamp so you can get either sound( though you aren't going to get it to sound as "tubey as a Mesa"),but it does have a lot of nice sounding tonal options and it's loud and I think a good match with the Schroeder,built like a tank and has a 2 year warranty and you can probably get one for about $620 US on the internet bass stores...I like it alot...Peace...DAcat...:cool: