Got the Steinberger!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kubla Khan, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Hello Talkbass Community,

I pleased to announce the acquisition of a left handed XL-2 Steinberger bass!

As you may have read from my previous post, I recently injured my back and haven't been able to play my wooden bodied beasts very easily. However, something wild and strange happened the other nite.

I strapped on the Steinberger and played with my drummer (the first time in 8 long weeks). With the strap on, the instrument can either be locked in a parallel, standard bass position. At first it felt weird, kind of like a hockey stick. But the light came on.... you can also unlock the groovy rotating pod on the back of the instrument where the strap attaches. You can literally rotate the instrument to facilitate better fret/note access as you play. It's almost like the instrument moves with your arm, once you get used to it. Maybe everyone was already aware of that feature, but the relief it gave my back was an epiphany it itself. I can rotate the bass while keeping a nice center of balance on my body. A new approach to playing the bass! (and I've played for 20 years).

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the bass. The EMG's sound great (my first experience with those), big boomy and clear, quite surpising, I wasn't sure what to expect with a total composite instrument. It will make a great travel instrument too.

Anyway, thanks for reading and all the support feedback. If you have back problems, you might consider one of these cool instruments. I feel fortunate that I found this bass.
    Rock on!

Kubla Khan
  2. sounds good man, you must be pumped
  3. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Right on KK,

The XL-2 is really a fantastic sounding bass.

My only wish for the strap assembly would have the back strap peg closer to the tail of the bass, in essence making the assembly slightly bigger. I like to ride the bass high and my XL-2 tends to slide a bit for me. Thus I ride it a little lower and that seems to help some.

Note that this is a pretty minor gripe.

Have fun and enjoy,