1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got Tired of my Sticky Neck !

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fender4Me, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Fender4Me

Fender4Me Supporting Member

For the past year or so, the lacquer on the back of the neck on my 1983 '62 P bass has been deteriorating to the point that when I would play, it would become so gummy and sticky that it was a hindrance. I had cleaned it numerous times with Naptha to no avail. I decided to remove the lacquer in the playing area and refinish it with Tru Oil. I sanded it down to raw wood which only took a few minutes, applied a stain that was a mixture of amber and dark walnut to give it some age, and applied 5 light coats of Tru Oil with my hands. I gently finished it off with a light scrub with 0000 steel wool. It feels so good now! No stickiness and, Im happy with the way it looks. Im sure some would disagree but, I stood all I could stand with the stickiness. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      488.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
  2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Looks good! Sticky lacquer is about the worst feeling.

Only 5 coats of tru oil might wear through pretty quick, but the good news is it's easy to apply more if that bugs you.

3. GitmoMango

GitmoMango Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Throw some gunstock wax on there. Give it the Ernie Ball treatment.

Nice bass. That’s my birth year bass. More pics?

4. Lysdestic

Lysdestic

Feb 23, 2007
    PDX
    I've done the same thing to two of my basses and have been extremely pleased with the results!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
  6. Fender4Me

Here you go. Its one of the first Fullerton re-issues. Just a beast of a bass in every way.

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      509.6 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      869 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      927.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Fender4Me

I wasnt sure how much oil to use so I went easy with it knowing I can add more later. I scuffed with steel wool between each coat too. Is there a suggested number of coat for the neck?

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I do it to all glossy neck Fenders.

9. Fender4Me

How does the Tru Oil do if you just apply it to a finished neck? Maybe scuff it good? The oil did blend in well with the existing lacquer on my neck at the peghead and heel.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Honestly, a couple coats is more than enough. That is all Ernie Ball does. You'll feel when the neck needs a new coat, usually 1-2 years for me. I linked the thread where I discuss my methods.

You did a great job. The stain looks good and is a nice touch for a vintage bass. The fresh wood would be too much.

Removing A Neck Finish

Thegrandwazoo and Fender4Me like this.
  11. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Just a comment.

If you are fed up with cleaning the residue if the steel wool, use a Scotch brite pad instead. They come in diffent grits, and theres alot less clean up

Cheers

12. Fender4Me

I agree and would normally have used a gray Scotchbrite pad but, its such a beating to get in and out of my Home Depot that I decided to use what I had.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nice! I take sandpaper to EVERY glossy neck. I even did it to a black painted neck.

14. Hey,.... whatever works!
    It's a tool... make the tool comfortable to use!

15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Great looking bass.
    I think that's a good fix. I'd do it. I have removed the lacquer on one of my older Fenders. It feels good in my opinion and seems faster. Hint, it's that one on the left. Feels like silk.

16. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Defo a beast!

17. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Looks killer.

18. Ruknrole

Ruknrole

Sep 21, 2018
    That looks great! What stains did you use?

19. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1

I did the same to an old Ibanez Roadstar in high school. It felt great when I was done!

These days, glossy necks don't get on my nerves that much. And I just can't imagine taking the sandpaper to a gorgeous thru-body... just don't think I could bring myself to do it.

20. Fender4Me

I used the trans tint dyes from Stew Mac. Vintage amber and Dark walnut mixed with water.