Got to check out a W Woods.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Oct 19, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    amazing (AMAZING) size and weight.

didn't get to play with the tone controls much, pretty much had everything flat and didn't drive it very hard.

played with full band though an SWR 2x10 for about an hour (it's what was available)

cut through fine, but sounded too "solid-statey" and sterile for my tastes. most frequencies represented well though.

overall, i MUCH prefer my ashdown abm500 tone.

but man --- what a dinky amp!
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, i think the SWR didnt help things.

i've tried a WW thru a 2x10 Bag End cab, and almost literally sharded my pants from how incredible it was.

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida

Do you know what model it was? The older models tend to sound like you desribed.
  4. I love my WW Ultra, but can understand the thread starters comments. When a bunch of us were playing my WW through a number of different cabs down at LDS a while back, guys that are used to playing out of a big analog-type amp or a hybrid did feel the Ultra was a little sterile. One man's sterile is another mans 'flat' or whatever, but the WW sound is not for everybody, and I don't use mine in certain playing situations.
  6. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Funny, I hear just the opposite. Walter designed the Electracoustic to be tubier and warmer vs the sterile sound his older models are known for.

7. I have a buddy with an old 100 watt model from the 70's (I think) and a 600 watt model (that weighs a LOT) from the 80's... those things sound like an old Ampeg fliptop to me! However, the model from the early 90's with the treble frequency switch and the single channel but with separate volume controls for the two inputs.... that one describes 'sterile' to me.

As you know, there are so many incarnations of these amps... all of which sound quite different.
  8. Mike Visceglia ( is currently using a WW on his tour with s/sw Dar Williams. His overall sound is amazing with his particular set-up.........Fear The V (especially when he has a WW in his mitts!)

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, I actually OWN one from the 80s as well as a recent one (both are "high power" models, the older rated 350W the newer rated 450W).

The older one sounds darker and more like tubes; each channel's EQ is voiced differently.

The new one is brighter and speaks more distinctly (i.e. typical SS); both channels sound the same.
  10. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Well, I've OWNED several from the 80's and just happen to hear things different. Just got rid of one of them a few weeks ago. I agree it sounds darker, but also more brittle on the high end and more boxy sounding. At the time Walter introduced the Electracoustic he told me it was designed to sound more tube-like. To each his own!