Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got to debut my restored Ampeg at a gig, but...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Corwin81, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    The sound guy put me through a friggin DI, so I was probably the only one hearing my tone. It sounded nice, but wished it could've been miked. Anyone else have this experience(getting to try a new rig out at a gig only to have the bass put into a DI box)?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    slap em'!!

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    slap em' next time!!

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I just heard from a friend of mine who's a very critical bassist and was at the show and he says it sounded really good, so I'm glad about that, but still....I spent so much time restoring the amp, I wanted to hear it with a mic on it, not the DI, but I've worked with the sound guy before(he still works at the club, but I got a different job now and don't have the energy to do sound anymore), and he does a good job.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    if you've done sound before, then you should know that most's PA's aren't big enough to completely mask the sounds comming from the stage. Personally I try to blend the stage sound and the PA together. The better the bass rig, the easier this is. Trust me, your sound isn't wasted :)

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Next time the sound guy tries that, politely suggest that he takes the signal from your pre-amp out in the back of your amp into the DI. That's how I usually do it at shows. Sometimes they get ornery, but if that's the case, just go with it. Piss him off, and he'll have his finger over the "Suck" knob all night long.

(I used to work live sound, and never let such a thing happen. But I know co-workers who have. ;))