Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got to get me a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by laurance22, Jan 7, 2005.

1. laurance22

laurance22

Jan 7, 2005
    Hi,
    I know most of you have seen these threads before but I am planning on buying a new bass in the $750-$1000 price range.

The bass has to be very versatile as I'm playing in a lot of varied musical enviroments (rock-jazz-funk-blues amd everything in between) . It has to be a 4 stringer. I was looking at the marcus miller jazz bass (4 string) , conklin groove tools 4-string ,the doug wimbish sig and maybe the the top of the line BTB. My current gear is mim fretless jazz, Ibanez btb300bg and srx305, My amp is an Svt 3 pro with the svt 410hlf

P.s I am influeced Jaco (of course) wooten, miller,dickens , clarke e.t.c I dig the more groove based stuff though.
    Any help would be really appreciated
    Laurance

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Sounds like some sort of Jazz bass might fill the bill. You might wind up doing some tweaking (like maybe series/parallel wiring) but a J would do it. I would stick with a passive bass.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since he already has a jazz of sorts id suggest something else. used G&L L2000 maybe.

4. laurance22

laurance22

Jan 7, 2005
    i have'nt heard much about the g&l l2000 Are they good?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes and extremely versatile.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    + 1

7. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    if i were you id go with a lakland skyline joe osborne without thinking twice about it :bassist:

8. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    i'd say go for the GT-4..but im biased :-roll

9. laurance22

laurance22

Jan 7, 2005
    So no one likes the idea of the miller jbass? :eyebrow: Thats the one of ones I was seriously considering