Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got to let one go!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Apr 8, 2003.

1. I have three basses, a 71 p-bass, a 1980 G&L L-1000 (low serial # B-000704), and a tobias 5 string growler.

Any suggestions on which one's I should keep, or let go, because I think one might have to go fairly soon.:(

The problem is that I really like all of these basses very much, and I can't really decide which one should go. (I think definately not the p-bass, as it was my first "real" bass, that I saved my hard earned money for)

So if you guys can't send me money to help, maybe you could send some suggestions;)

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    ....so how much you want for that P?

:D

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't want to be in your shoes - all three are great. Can you sell blood instead? How about a kidney?

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I think I would loose the 5, You can always get another Toby 5 down the road, You'll never find a G&L with that low of a # and you can't go wrong with a good Pbass.
    This is just my personel opinion.:)
    But it's up to you really, which one do you play least?

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Tata Tobias...

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I say you send the p bass to me... problem solved!

others would probably be right in saying that the tobias should go!

P@

7. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    deep down i think only you can answer this question ,or are you just waiting for someone to agree with your desicion that you already made?good luck this is a tuff one,if i had to get rid of one of my three basses i know which one it would'nt be(my japanese p/j bass)but not wich one it would be
    make sense? have fun:confused: AND WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT,I REPEAT DO NOT GET RID OF THE FENDER!:eek:

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I agree.. only send it to me instead! :) please don't sell the Fender :) I'd say get rid of the 5 only because 5's aren't my cup of tea maybe I have small hands or short fingers that can't stretch, but it seems like I really have to work on a 5 :p (and JT plays like 7stringers, he must get pretty tired)

9. Let the Growler go. It's the only one that is not collectable or "classic."

10. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Since no one has offered this solution yet I will. Send me the G&L! :D

11. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'm going to have to agree with the majority. Let the Tobias go.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    g'day to the tobias.

13. Bon voyage Tobias...

14. My initial reaction was to get rid of the G&L, because the Tobias does offer greater functionality, but there are plenty of Growlers floating around on the used market; they don't seem to have much cachet, so you could probably pick one up for cheap down the road.

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I guess the big question is how much money do you need and which basses do you need? If it were me, I'd be like everyone else and ditch the Growler. It is the easiest to replace.

On the other hand, that P will haul in a nice bit of cash for you. If you aren't into collecting and just want a good player, you can sell off the P for a high price and then take a little bit of the money and by a nice used MIJ P. An MIJ is no collector's piece but would be a good player's bass.

16. Let the Tobias go.

17. I gotta agree with xyllion you really neeeded to work out what you needed in a bass before you decide which one to let go of, the tobias is versatile so thats good and its resale value might not be too high(I don't know, i live in oz and we don't see that many of them down here).

18. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    how much you gonna sell the Tobias for?:D

OK, so I'm jumping to conclusions. I agree w/ xyllion. If you don't REALLY care about the collector value, then you can get a fair bit of cash for the P. Otherwise, ditch the Tobias, IMHO!

19. ["how much you gonna sell the Tobias for?"]

Good question Masterbasser_43, what are they worth?

20. Before you answer I was thinking $750 w/ohsc.