Got to meet pro bass player. Wierd bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, May 24, 2001.

1. I didn't know what forum this should go in and it'll probably get moved but I figured it'll get the most attention in basses.

Anyway, I had mentioned a couple days ago that I was having this pro bass player over my house to give me a lesson and have dinner. Well he came over tonight. Hisname is Dominique DiPiazza. Man, it was awesome. He helped point out some of my bad habits and worked mostly on my right hand technique. We were playing for about an hour, at the end of which I cranked up the amp and we just started jamming. I was holding down the groove while he went crazy doing solo stuff. I wish I had video to show you guys cuz this guy can fly. I'm uncertain of the type of bass he plays but he has two identical ones except for the finish. Their both fives strung, EADGC. The controls are vol,vol,bass,treble. The wierd thing is, you can't see it but he has a huge block of wood in between the two pickups. Probably a thumb rest but I never saw him use it.
    Well, needless to say, he gave me plenty to keep me busy practicing for a couple weeks.
    Here are some pics for proof.!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.view=t
  2. Pretty cool BelAir, what version of PhotoShop did you use to merge the photos.:D

You must be pumped, thanks for the follow up.
    The pics didn't load but I copied the links and checked them out.

Nice car collection.
  3. I think I fixed the problem with the pics. Oh, you like the cars. I've been collecting them for about 2 years. Maybe when I get a job I can start collecting basses.
    I can't believe I just noticd this. Look at the top right corner of the first picture. See how he bowling trophies are aligned. Pretty cool.[​IMG]
  4. Your trophies look like a smile :)
    I had 2 55 Belairs in high school, spent more time building cars than doing homework.
    After handfulls of tickets and insurance rates doubling I sold them. Hope to get back into building them again after I buy a home.
    Not to ramble but the 55 was my favorite over the 57, it is kind of like the underdog, one was bright yellow, I would go to parties and people would say "nice taxi", then I would take them for a ride. :D
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I can't really tell very easily, but his bass looks like a Benavante. Supposedly very cool and great sounding basses. Sound familiar?
  6. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Once again, congrats Belair ! you lucky .... :D

I can't remember well but I think Dominique Di Piazza's basses are made by a french luthier.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm having the same thing put on a custom. It's a Willis speed ramp.
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Plenty of players use them...I probably would too, if I played a lot more jazz. I know Matt Garrison uses them, and I THINK Lincoln Goines might, but I'm really not sure about him. Notice the Fodera connection?