1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got to play my first vintage bass last week!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Apr 27, 2006.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Okay so last Friday I had the oppurtunity to play something really cool: an SG bass from the 60s! Of course I know it's not really called the SG bass, but that's how I see it.

Anyway, I couldn't bring my new Spector to try out, so I used the only thing they had in the Green Shed (I guess it's considered as a studio. A band called The Julius Airwave uses it. My band works with the father of...I think the bass player) at the time. Usually there's a Telebass and a RIC, but hey, I needed a bass. I picked it up, and noticed it looked pretty worn out. I asked how old it was, and Mr. Henry (as we call him) told me it was from '62 or '63. I was completely blown away!

I didn't look on the body for the exact model, but I think it's an EB-0, but I'm not expert. Basically just a volume and a control knob, a humbucker at the neck, and a pick guard with some kind of thumbrest on it. It has a cherry finish, although it's pretty faded and looks like mahogony now. Also had Gibson's notorious neck dive, which I found fun to play with.

I couldn't really judge how it sounds, because for one thing I was going up against two probably 100-watt guitar amps that were playing louder than they needed, and the amp I was using was a small Kustom that looked probably as old as the guitar. Couldn't hear it too well, but it gave off this sort of funky "mmmwuh" sound.

So yeah. I'm really glad I had the oppurtunity to actually play a vintage bass. But just out of curiousity, does anyone know how much one of these things could sell for?

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've seen em go from around 800 to about 1400. I like em a lot, but then, I like the newer Epi EB-0s.

3. depending on the condition they dont seem to have much value as they are all beat to hell! They also dont seem to take well to stiffer, higher tension strings, the action seems to go high on those guys. That siad, he short scale and narrow neck makes them very fast players. With the right tube amp they are great rock or punkrock basses. Not as gritty as a rick or even a jazz, but still plenty of definition.