1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got to see a Roscoe in action last night.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 19, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I was at a local bar last night checking out a friends band, low and behold, the bass player was sporting a Roscoe. In my hometown of Rockford, IL that's not something you see everyday. Fenders and Ibanez rule the roost here, an EBMM is rarity.....let alone a Roscoe. The bass in question was extremely similar to this one http://www.roscoeguitars.com/Bass_Gallery/Bass_Pics/5435.jpg - with the exception being that the one that I saw was a 5 banger, unsure about the fret board? I have to say that the sound was not all that great. The bass had real loose/floppy low end and seem compressed. I mean, it was OK......but not what I would have expected from a Roscoe. As far as his rig........it looked like an Eden WT800 and on top of an Eden 410XLT, although the WT800 could have been a 500. I couldn't tell if he was running through the PA (2 stand mounted 2-way 15 traps) or if he was driving the room with the Eden. My question is........do you think the Roscoe had anything to do with the floppy/loose bottom end or the compression -or- do you think it was the amp or PA.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I could be wrong but the body looks like the Century series, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me soon enough.

Maybe this guy you heard got a crap mix or didn't dial in the best tone for the room that night. I dunno, I haven't heard it in a band situation as of yet though. I've played some Roscoe's at Bass Central, mostly the Century 6 string though an Eden head and cab and I thought it sounded quite quite nice and played extremely well.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Im pretty sure his was a SKB.......his bass had a similar top

4. I had considered Roscoes until I started to read reviews -- sounds like they had rough period of QC issues. Anyone buy a Roscoe lately?

5. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    The sound that ends up coming through the speakers has much less to do with the bass than the person playing it. Any bass, expensive or not, will sound unimpressive if it's played poorly with uninformed preamp and amplifier settings.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That would indeed be an SKB.

And totally the opposite to my Roscoe experience, I bought mine espcially because of their low B reputation. I was not dissapointed, low action, no buzz, beautiful tone, with perfect clarity and definition on the low notes. Sounds like a amp/pa issue.

Of course being a Roscoe owner, you might think me biased, so what I say is IMO, and you can take it FWIW etc.

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Those reviews are old news. There was a short period there where growing pains affected the quality in a few areas but that was a very abbreviated period of time.

I've had 5 built in the last 5-6 years and they've all been excellent quality. I just got my latest in Dec 08 and it is by far the best playing and sounding bass that I've ever played. Absolutely flawless quality too.

8. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I bought a 3005 SKB brand new in 2007 and I did have to send it back because the neck pocket was cut incorrectly. Roscoe customer service was really great and they fixed the issue and sent the bass back to me free of charge, but I still had to pay to ship a brand new bass to them.

The neck was super comfortable and the finish was great.

9. cubanbass

cubanbass Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    I had a 2001 SKB 6er and it had an amazing neck and tone. The Roscoe sound sits great in the mix, I always enjoyed the sound of that bass.

10. Hard to say, but floppy would be the furthest thing from how I hear it.

The low end is the most beautiful thing about these basses, IMO. (Disclaimer: I have an LG3005.) Wide, open, and a uniquely sounding compressed midrange that sticks its head out like a Smith when and if you choose to play up on the fretboard.

I haven't come across anything else to that sits in the mix like my LG: