Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got to see Incubus in concert last night!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AmplifyYourBass, Sep 25, 2004.

1. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    WOW!

If there was ever a word to describe that concert, wow would be it. They played mostly their old stuff (the only stuff played off ACLOTM was Sick Sad Little World, Megalomaniac, Talk Shows on Mute, Made for TV Movie, and Southern Girl). The whole band had a 20 minute drum solo. The drummer stuck with his drum set while Brandon Boyd got a bongo and the other guys got snare and bass drums. What ensued was one of the most amazing drum jam sessions I've ever seen or heard. After that, the other guys left the drummer to go at it by himself, and he was even better than the whole band was with him. It invoked memories and thoughts of John Bonham.

I also must say Brandon Boyd is one of the most amazing male singers I've ever heard. He hit every note almost perfectly just like he does on their CDs. Amazing, kick ass concert. If Incubus is coming to your town and you don't have tickets, get tickets. Now. :bassist:

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Define "old stuff."

Sorry. I'm sure it was great concert.

3. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Stuff off Morning View, Make Yourself, and one or two from Fungus Among us.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wait. Are you from Memphis? They played here last night.

5. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I sure am! :bassist:

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    And we got to see your thread about it posted in the wrong forum tonight!

brad cook

7. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Oh, um, sorry? Didn't know it was that big of a deal since it's in the Off-Topic forum. Oh well. Mods move it to whereever it should go.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Never said it was a big deal.

Off Topic = non-music

Misc = random music-related things that don't fit in other forums

brad cook

9. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Ah. Figured since it was a concert story it would fit in here. My bad.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ha. Best reply ever.

What did they play off of Fungus, I thought they completely denied the fact that they use to make good music.

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Do you play in any local bands I might know you from?

12. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Nope. I'm afraid I don't. Right now I'm in a band with 2 guitarists. We've run through 2 drummers already but have yet to find one to stick with (no gigs yet). How about you? Play in a local band I might know you from?

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I play in a pop-rock band called All Lights Green. We just recently started playing shows, but we're mostly involved with the underground music scene.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yup this cat knows what he is saying......off we go.

15. Really?

Ive seen them twice.

Once with Dirk. the other with the new guy.

I saw them with Dirk at the horden.. and that went off.. they played alot of make yourself and older science stuff.

When i saw them with the roots dude. well that was a terrible concert i must admit. Meglomania was pretty good coz they started with it..but it was all down hill from there...

too bad.. they used to be a great live band.

16. Ya, i like incubus, they actually know music and how it works unlike most modern day groups. they keep in the funk and play with a light rock style, love 'em

17. I had a chance to see the band play at MSG in July and they did the same 3 part drum solo that was quite impressive. Definately a tight band despite people saying they sold out for a lighter sound
    (Its not selling out, its getting old- RHCP followed a similar path from hard funky stuff to more mellow yet still very intelligent and musical stuff)

Highlight of the show:
    The Warmth(sent shivers down my spine)
    and A Certain Shade of Green

Glenn