Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got to try an M-Pulse today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Wow, i was an Centioli's Music in NorthEast Philadelphia, for those of you in philly, and i got to play through an m-pulse 360. I played it through an old Mesa 4x10 Diesal cab and a new 1x15 powerhouse cab. D*** it was so great. I like fell in love. I'm drooling and am loaded with gas as we speak. hehe. :D

2. I'd be curious to hear the M-Pulse side-by-side with an Eden WT-800, given that Mesa's gone over to the Eden-style semi-parametric rotary EQ. Hell, the new Walkabout head is a shameless ripoff of the WT-300, down to the name (Traveler vs. Walkabout--obviously a ripoff), so I doubt that there's too much difference.

3. how much do they run for? hmm, maybe I'll sell my current head/cab for an m-pulse and an ampeg cab. :)

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I recently checked out the M-Pulse, an M-2000, and am very familiar with the Eden stuff.

No comparison, the M-Pulse blew chunks. Its flat tone was nasal and strident, and mucking about with the EQ didn't do much for my ears either. My Peavey T-Max was head-and-shoulders better sounding, if less powerful (by 100 watts).

The M-2000 is an excellent sounding amp, far superior to the M-Pulse. My only beef with it was that I felt I needed an engineering degree (and not an audio one, a rocket scientist one! ;) ) to operate it. A gazillion knobs on the front, then several on the back that change what the ones on the front do!! :eek: Got several good tones out of it quickly though.

If they're marketing this as their "answer" to the Eden stuff, they need to go back to the drawing board, it's not even in the ballpark, and it's just as expensive.

I also tried out their new 410 cabinet (sorry, I can't remember the name), and found it to be good sounding, but I heard a bit of "breathing" on lower notes. Seemed the cab was really working hard to deal with the frequencies, and this was at a pretty quiet level, I'd be concerned about getting to stage volumes with it. Not a challenger to the Eden D-410XLT in any way, and now Eden's upped the ante with the XST which I just love (wish they offered it in 4 ohm though).

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've tried the M-Pulse a couple times...it was ok, but I'd never even consider buying it. Fiddled with it for probably 30 minutes at guitar center with a Pedulla, and still couldn't get "my" tone. It was really hard to EQ the harshness out of it, and the treble was either scratchy or squeeky.

I'm not a big fan of their cabs, either. It always freaks me out when I see how much their speakers travel...looks like they're going to shoot out of the grille.

6. mr fourtune cookie if it makes you feel any better,I own a m-pulse600.I don't hear the "harshness"or "chunk blowing" that the last two posts talk about.all I hear is a clean warm sound.I play a modulus genisis series 5.one thing to keep in mind is the rotary 3 band e.q. has active bass and treble and a passive mid that react differently to each other than all passive or all active..I run my e.q. flat most of the time,when I do use eq it's usually a little mid boost on the 3 band(it depends on the stage,moniter mix,room)and very rarely use the semi-parametric(only with the rick4001).let yours ears decide.if it blows the wind up your skirt,then by all means..............................