1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got wenge? - '98 Warwick FNA (MD, DC, NoVa)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by animal52, Apr 9, 2010.

1. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    SOLD

Here's a chance to grab a fantastic and difficult-to-find bass. It's a 1998 Warwick Corvette FNA with an all-wenge neck. The tone of this beast is all 'wick, lots of punch and natural compression. As most of you know, these wenge necks are slimmer than the newer ovangkol ones, and this one also has smaller, vintage size frets, so it plays with lower (perceived) action and almost no fret noise. I can honestly say that this is the best bass I've owned (and I've owned more than I care to admit), but GAS has got me and I've got to give in, so take advantage of my stupidity and get yourself a great axe.

The only trade I'm looking for is a 4-string fretted Birdsong (possibly a fretless).

$[DEL]850[/DEL] [DEL]775[/DEL] 700 cash sale, or best offer. [DEL] Trying to keep things simple by staying local for now.[/DEL] No longer local only will ship in a hardshell case, same price.

Attached Files:

2. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    ttt

3. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    No love for the wenge?

4. dudamir

dudamir

Jul 28, 2009
    do you have more pics?

5. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    some closer shots of the bass.... The flame in the maple is quite subtle. The body is a nice piece of ash. Note the extremely tight neck pocket (I'm convinced that one of the major factors behind that focused warwick tone is simply the great build quality, but I digress...). The wenge accent line between the flame maple and the ash body is a nice touch.

I would never consider selling either of my 'wicks if I wasn't going shortscale. I've yet to find anything that competes with the tone of a Warwick.

Attached Files:

6. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    two more....

Attached Files:

7. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    PRICE DROP: $775 or best offer

8. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Not alot of local interest... this one ships in a HSC.

9. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    What's the body made of? Is that just a wenge inlay around the contour? That's one fabulous bass. Thanks!

10. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    No... thank you for the bump :)

The body is ash, the top is flame maple (the flame is subtle), and there's a wenge accent line between the two.

One nice feature that I haven't mentioned yet is the recessed straplocks. It's nice to have straplocks that don't sit a mile from the bass and look funny.

11. I vaguely recall reading that the accent layer is walnut; regardless, these are SWEET basses. VERY snappy, incredibly playable.

12. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    LaFawnDuh! Yeah, I've heard that the accent is Walnut, and I must concour that Warwicks recessed StrapLocks are INCREDABLE!!! 4 out of 5 Warwicks surveyed Prefer them!:smug:

13. bassmankai

bassmankai

May 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Probably one of the best Warwicks ever made, and it's extremely hard to come by. By the way the pre-2000 Warwicks are by far superior than the newer ones, so anyone who wants a Warwick should snatch it up.

14. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Oh, it could be. It looked like wenge and I hadn't heard of Warwick using walnut before, so I just assumed.... thanks, it is a great bass. I planned on keeping it for a long, long time, but I'm going shortscale and trying to raise money to start building my own basses, so...

15. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    PRICE DROP, $700

16. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    few nibbles but holding out for a cash sale...no reasonable offer refused:)

17. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    SOLD