GOT WOOD... Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

For a new Roscoe?

I'm about 95% sure I'm going to get another Roscoe 5 string to replace my 6 string I'm going to sell. I love my 6 string, but I really am not a 6 player. I rarely use the C string, I love playing my 5 string Roscoe fretless, and I want a fretted 5 too. I just want to try a couple of basses before I make the commitment (time for another research trip to Bass Central and I want to check out Cliff's CB basses first too).

But if I go with another Roscoe, I want one with some more deep thump than I have with my other Roscoes. I'm looking for a deep funk machine that will be deep but with good highs as well.

Here's what I was thinking:

Roscoe Signature Century V
    • Mahogany body
    • Claro Walnut top
    • Wenge/maple/wenge neck
    • Birdseye Maple fret board
    • Nordstom pickups
    • Demeter preamp
    • Standard string spacing, pick up placement and diamondwood nut

I spoke to Gard about this. He said that he and Keith felt that the combo of Mahogany and Walnut may be too deep. I was hoping that the Maple fret board, Nordstom pickups and Demeter preamp would bring out the clarity so it isn't one big boomy mushy mess.

What do you guys think? Am I nuts, or am I on to something here?
  2. Bassmanbob

To clarify what Gard had suggested: he suggested Mahogany body with a Maple top or Swamp ash body with Walnut top. He said that would provide me with a deeper tone, but still allow me the definition I don't want to completely loose.
  3. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Not sure about the mahogany/walnut combo since I have never heard this combo, but I can vouch for a Spanish Cedar/Maple top combo. My SKB3006 is very similar to what you describe (BEM fretboard, diamondwood nut, and Demeter pre) and I have a great deep/clear low end with plenty of mids/highs available to be dialed in with the demeter. :bassist: I would definitely take what Gard and Keith suggest under advisement.
    Damn this reminds me, I have to finally post my review of this bass one of these days.:ninja: :ninja:

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I'd like to see the Mahogany body with Walnut top. More than that I might like to see a Mahogany body with an Ebony top. Would that work?
  5. Bassmanbob

I asked GArd about that. It would be VERY heavy. Sound wise, I thought that would be too dark, but remember that ebony is very dense wood, so it is bright according to what Gard told me. It would probably be less dark than what combination I was thinking of. He'll correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.
  6. Bassmanbob

How have I come up with the Mahogany body and Walnut top idea?

At Bass Central last year I tried a Fodera with that wood combination and I loved the tone. Yes there are other pickups and preamp, but it was just so deep and thunderous. Then I tried a Peavey Cirrus at a local music store. I usually don't like the tone of these basses, but I picked this one up and it sounded great. Like the Fodera I tried last year. Sure enough, it had a Mahogany body and Walnut top.

So now I have this in my head...:meh: :confused: :meh:
  7. Bassmanbob

Bump. I need your thoughts and suggestions.