1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gota get a warwick!...but which?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey there, I want to buy a new bass very soon to go with my schroeder 410 and eden pre (new power coming soon too). Anyway I popped down to a bass store tried the warwick double buck and was very impressed. I liked it most in the parallel setting for the pickups. Anyway I was wondering peoples opinions on this bass compareed to the thumb or the Streamer LX? I tried a thumb 5 string once and hated it, but I played a 4 string for a few seconds the other day and felt a lot better than the 5 in my hands (the neck seemed long still, but seemed like something I could get used to as long as it had killer tone). I read the thumb has more low end is that so? Thanks in advance

-The band is an original hard rock/funk band

2. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Be sure to consider the Corvette FNA Jazzman or Streamer Jazzman basses as well. Both basses have the same electronics and pickups. Only the bass design is different.

The range of tonal options is quite vast with the Jazzman basses.

Ted

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Note that, not having played one, I've read many times that double buck is not for you if you slap, as your fingers won't probably fit

4. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah I was interested in the jazzman models a while back, I liked the humbucker andsingle coil pickup configuration, Ill have to see if the shops have em in stock at the moment so I could try em out.

When I played the double buck, I played slap n pop for a little bit, had to do it in front of the pickups, sort of like playing a jazz with a pickguard, wasnt too bad though

5. Why do you want a Warwick when you haven't found one you've liked? Try everything in the price range... something may surprise you.

6. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    I have one I liked the double buck, Im asking for opinions on another couple of models which I havent tried in comparison to it, preferably in a gig situation.

P.S- the warwick actually surprised me, I didnt expect to like it, I stupidly wrote em off a while back when I tried the 5 string thumb...silly move

7. Ohhh, I'm pretty tired at the moment and read that you were very unimpressed by the $$. I would look into the Bubinga Corvette standard.

8. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah cool, the crvette body suits me nicely

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    my fave warwicks would be the $$ and the thumb. the thumb has a lot of bottom end, but lacked a little in the mids. the $$ has a seriously fat tone, tons of bottom and lower mids. it also has very flexible pups, with different coil switching positions for each pup. i believe there is also an active/passive mode on both basses.

in the end, if i had to choose between the two, i would choose the $$ for its overall versatility compared with the thumb.

but i chose a stealth bongo 5 over both of them.

EDIT: i see you're in melbourne, check out www.basscentre.com.au, they are having a warwick special at the moment.

10. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    thanks mate, yeah basscentre is where I tried them. Wish they had the jazzman models in stock, 4 strings

11. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I've tried out the double $ on numerous occassions, and I like the 4 rather than the 5er which is wierd cuz I have been a 5stringer for 8 years now. I am going to grab one in nirvana black as soon as the boss(girlfriend)approves...I also really like the corvette standard ash. Both basses are great for slapping, but are quite pricey...(hence the approval):oops:

12. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I recently make my own expedition into getting a warwick, the Double buck in particular and I have not been dissapointed. They are a great model in the warwick range. I have also had the oportunity to play a thumb BT, streamer, corvette and the corvette hot rod. all of them great and all of them different in certain areas.

I wound up with the Corvette Double Buck as the cahp at the store worked out a really great deal for me, plus the tonal capabilites on this model is really appealing with a very varied and usable tone selection using the single, parallel ans series settings with the pickups.

In short the double buck is a good bass to pick up if buying in the warwick range for the first time.

13. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    the $$ corvette is a really sweet bass, and will probobly be the next wick i buy. i believe it to be a very versatile bass, and i think it is better(imo) than the $$ stingrays, but again, imo. the $$ corvettes are nearly impossible to slap and pop on, but if your a finger of pick guy, they are great. like everyone said, they have a ton of booty, and i think the pups match up well with the swamp ash body to make it a tonal monster.
    i ordered a thumb bo 4 over buying the $$ vette and an infinity sn. the thumb had this great "dry" bottom end that seemed natural for the bass(i guess it came from the wood), that i could not coax from the $$ vette. tonally, i believe them to be totally different beasts, and i believe if you did an a-b test, it would deffinitly help you in your decision

14. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    thanks everyone, cant wait to get to the store next week and plug the thumb in and give it a good workout agianst the buck. As soon as I plugged in last week and heard that trademark warwick growl I was hooked! So much more life and character than other basses Ive played. I tried a stingray while I was there, they have never like right to me and this one was no exception. Tried a Marcus Miller, it was cool but faded in comparison to the warwick. The only other bass Im interested but didnt get to try is a rickenbacker, next week:)

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I personally prefer Corvettes over Thumbs because the Corvette bodies balance on me better, especially at tummy-height. Thumbs balance better at chest height, but I don't like to play my basses that high.

16. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    I played both again today. Yeah the thumb is slightly more uncomfortable but Im a strong guy not a big issue.........the tone though!! it was awesome. the double buck was good, real good, but the thumb was the best or should I say my favourite tone Ive heard

17. Cool man, just try out various warwicks and you'll find the one for you.

Guy will give you a killer deal as well.

18. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Thumb basses are the key to starting off on Warwicks the right way. May people say Corvettes are or actually did start with a Corvette and probably swear buy it.

Start with a Thumb Bolt On... 4 Strings = little if any neck dive. 5 Strings will dip a little on you... All you need to do is invest in a thicker leather strap. (the leather strap actually provides some friction against your clothes and helps to keep the neck on your body in the location. Impossible to do those crazy bass spins around your body however hehe)

There are a ton out there and if price is an issue, check out ebay. I got a 2005 model 4 string for under $800.

One small ding on the neck which i steamed out... Made the wood swell and actually decrease the ding by about 95%.
    They have THE BEST tech support over at Dana B. Goods by the way. Something breaks, email them and a new piece will be at your door within a couple days.

19. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Vin ... they don't make them anymore but of all the Warwicks I've played and owned that includes 2 thumbs the Streamer Pro M in either 4 or 5 string (I have a 5) is way nice ... what looks like one pickup is actually two Js side by side and it has independent pre-amp controls for each for both treble and bass a sweep control between the pickups and a volume all on stack knobs ... you can dial up just about any tone including a very convincing P-bass ... to a fat ultra MM tone ... or move into J-bass land.

20. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    People, people, how on earth has nobody mentioned the Warwick Streamer Stage 1, it's the best bass they make imo, also looks beautiful and has a very comfortable, thinner than usual Warwick neck profile. Pricier than the bolt ons of course but if you wanted the best Warwick regardless, that would be my choice.