Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gota Rambler ideling in my Mullard!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Highpines, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Hello...I changed out the preamp tube in my HA3500 cause I was told they used a cheap tube at the factory and I wanted to change or play with some different tones. Actually it had a Sovtec 7025/12AX7WA in it and "basspro2 here on tb was kind enough to enlighten me and suggest a "groove tube" 12AX&M (Mullard reissue). I replaced the tube and was surprised at the difference....I like it a lot!........But after a break to have a beer I came back to notice a soound comming from my 215 kinda like in the old day's when you put a stereo in your car and you hear'd the engine running (remember when you reved up the engine and you could hear it in the speakers?) of course this sound is just a steady iddle. When I turn the preamp down or off this doesn't happen and it's not in the S.S........................I like the sound of the new tube and you would never hear this sound while playing but I never noticed it with the other tube....... is this just problamatic of this tube or could something else be causing the "Rambler Rumble" Dont think it's a big problem but at loud levels you can definatelyhear it...............THANX

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I think maybe you've got a bad tube. but before going too far, why not go back in and pull the tube out and re-insert it and see if maybe its not in quite right...

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    This thread hereby wins BEST THEAD TITLE EVER, I own no mullards and haven't seen a rambler in years but I had to check, GREAT STUFF Burning Skies

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I second that. I would also add that if that doesn't fix it, try the original again. If the problem is gone then you have a bad tube.

I personally would try a JJ tube from Eurotubes.com. He test every tube to make sure its good. Thats my .02!

5. Unfortunately I am the owner of the Rambler "BurningSkies" helped though......B.S I did change out the tube and also put the original back in and the original 12AX7 was clean and made no unusual noises. I then put the new "Groove Tube" 12AX7M back in and the same noise was there.....hmmm...add bass and deeper noise visa versa........To bad cause I like the sound of the tube.....

6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Bad tubes happen. Try another and I'd bet you'll be fine. It's not all that expensive to beat a Sovtek 12AX7. They're ok, but for the price of a short night out, they can be improved upon.

7. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Do you have a flouresent light nearby? Or on the same circuit as you amp is plugged into? Magnetic ballast will throw harmonics threw on an AC line and will cause exactly what you discribed . I use to have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout and it would pick up my laptops computers charger turning off and on and drove me nuts until I figured it out. I swore the head was the problem. Bad grounding in a home or building will have alot of effect on an amp also. Loose nuetrals on a panel , electricians grounding the box and not the receptacle or both.. bad power to your house. There are alot of cause's of line noise that an amplifier will pick up easy. Sorry for the rant I've been an electrician for 25 years. "Lectricty is my life"
    Wonder why theres no water , these pipes got wires in em.
    Steve

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It sounds like you're describing "motorboating", which might not be the tube's fault, it might be flaky or inadequate power supply filtering. A good tube will respond to that, while a marginal tube might not.

9. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    2nd that .... what Nonsqtr said.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's a good suggestion too...

Unfortunately tubes are indeed not quite as bullet proof as maybe we'd like...so if none of these quick fixes work, I'd try another tube. The luck of the draw means that it is quite possible to have gotten an 'off' tube. I also like Eurotubes...if you email him and tell him what you're doing and what you'd like to hear, he'll help to match you with a tube you might like. And he does test all tubes before sending. I think his most expensive JJ 12AX7 is ten bucks.

11. O.K......it is definately sat night cause this is weird!.....I decided to play that new (12AX7M) tube hard for awhile tonight before practice tomarrow...after about 1/2 hour I set my "Spector" down and notice the "Rambler Idle" has turned into a kind of stuck throttle at about 3000 RPM...at this point I go in the house and get a smoke (legal) and a coctail and come out to figure what to tell you guy's now. The volume on Bass and amp are still the same.......I'm sipping my drink and all of a sudden the tube rev's up faster whoooooooooooeeep (bout that fast) and then no noise from the tube. Played some more, tube pre on.....off.....sounds great! Maybe the o'le "Rambler iddle in the Mullard" just needed a workout. Anyway those of you that I talked to I thought you'd like to know.............And I am ready for http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/guitarist.gif

12. I guess I'm ready for bed! never could figure out those "smillies"........................

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    :bassist: There ya go!

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Very odd...but hey as long as it works and keeps working and sounding great. I have an old fender twin that does strange things too (its either haunted or has a voodoo curse on it). My little 65 vibrochamp is a complete tube tone monster though.

BTW...as of tonight I've upgraded to a head with a few more tubes...16 in all. :)

well, the real look when I turn the amp on and play is ----> :eek:

I'll never get rid of my 3500 though.

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    It sounds like it might be a leaky capacitor--hopefully the sound won't come back, but if it does, try taking it to a technician and asking him to look at your filter caps. They're supposed to filter AC noise, and if they start to fail some bizaar sounds can come out of your amp. And stick with Groove Tubes, they're manufactured to the highest standards; Aspen Pittman practically invented modern tube-testing, with computers, etc. and tests for certain things that other makers/dealers don't even know to look for. Those Mullard reissues are great, and so are the GE6l6's--best tubes made, with the exception of Telefunken, in my opinion.

16. Ohhh man....16 tubes! I can't imagine how I'd troubleshoot 16 if It took me 2 day's to deal with one on my pre. Also at $25.90 (delivered to my door) for one GT I would imagine the sound of a all tube amp that is talked about here so often is incredible!......Just playing with one tube the last week is changing the way I listen to tone and sound..........HHmmmmmmm...

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

;)

Now you see how easy it is to become a tube/tone tweaker. Its soooo easy to switch out a tube or two to check out the tonal variation. The best amp I have for this is the 65 Champ. it has one power tube and 3 12ax7's so it's super easy to reach in the open back and try out some stuff. I have a NOS Mullard in it most of the time, and the 6V6 power tube is a RCA blackplate. I occasionally buy a batch of mixed tubes from ebay cheap so I can try out new stuff.

I think I'll be leaving the tubes in the new head alone for a bit though...a full retube is over $200, well...maybe I'll check out some new preamp tubes. :meh:

The TBer I bought the head from included a full set of extra power tubes and 2 sets of pre's!

18. Ohh....and in all this did I mention the "GT' over the "Sovtec"?......What a differance! very noticeable... Without you guy's I wouldn't have found another sound (better).........Have a great Sunday!....."NASCAR"! [​IMG]

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Cool. Glad to be of service. Seems like I've lived a life of bass player isolation...took me years to figure out how to get sounds I liked from my gear, and I'm not one to trade or sell gear easily.

No TV for me tomorrow. I'll be at the practice room with my new 400+ into my 4x10 and my Avatar SB112! I'll be makin' that side of town shake!