1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gotoh 201 bass bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Just installed a Gotoh 201 in my Fender MIM 50's reissue pbass. Definate improvement! Much more punch, sustain and articulation. I've used Badass II bridges before, but never a Gotoh 201 and I cant tell the difference between the two. If any of you are considering a bridge upgrade, seriously consider the 201.

2. thanks for that...

I like standard Fender bridges...they work fine and come free with the bass ;)

BTW...i'll believe your claim when you post comparison sound clips...

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Gotoh makes good stuff.

4. they certainly do...I just don't buy all the hype that a bridge can change your bass so dramatically...

so if someone wants to demonstrate it via some clips, I'm all ears.

5. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Dude, my fretless yamaha had a rusty 16 year old bridge on it and the E strings always sounded floppy (in 16 years I tried many strings believe me, rounds, flats, halfrounds, you name it) even when the bass was new. I tightened the bridge screws, the neck screws, put a new pickup... didn't change the floppyness.
    When I put on the Gotoh 201 I couldn't believe how much tighter my bass sounds especially the E string!

So if you have an already good sounding bass, maybe it's not worth it to put a new bridge.
    If the strings feel floppy, or the saddle screws are so rusty you can't raise or lower them (my case) go ahead and do it now! In my case you can believe I heard a BIG difference!

6. I'm not talking about a comparing it to a bridge with mechanical issues...

I've got two basses with similar designed bridges (both Fender-esqe):

one (the one on my Yamaha) is perfectly OK...the bass plays great, the action is very low, the tension is good, the intonation...everything...putting a Gotoh 201 on this bass would make no change whatsoever, IMO, to the already great playability of this bass...

the other bridge (on a cheap P-bass copy) is poor...the metal is soft and the height adjustment screws are actually "digging in" to the bass plate...it's just aweful...the bass plays quite good, but it certainly does need a replacement....on here...ANY decent bridge would make a difference (how "big" is debatable, still)...

all I am saying is a quality bridge is definitely worth it on a new bass or a bass where the current bridge is showing some major issues...but to just change a bridge because "Gotoh will sound better than a Fender bridge" is a notion that I'm not convinced is valid.

The OP is claiming "Much more punch, sustain and articulation"...nope...I'm not buying it...sorry...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021