Gotoh 201 Bridge for MIM P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgavin, Feb 28, 2002.

1. I installed my Gotoh 201 bridge and found it keeps the strings too high compared to the stock flimsy bridge. I've run the saddles all the way down, and they are significantly larger diameter than the stock saddles.

I'm playing a gig on it tonight to see how it feels. If OK, I'll just leave it alone. If too high, then I'll either have to modify the saddles with deeper string cuts, or put the old bridge back in place. That would be a shame, because the Gotoh has a massive, cast base plate that is very nice.
  2. The gig went fine, and the string height is not an issue. But, I cannot detect any noticeable tone improvement from the stock bridge. The Gotoh is more attractive and heavier, but at the cost of not being able to lower the strings.

The fix will be cutting the saddle grooves deeper, and replating the saddles, or just putting the stock bridge back in place and calling it a day.

My beam balance scale is designed for people, not for 4 ounce bridges, so it is hard to tell the difference in weight. Both the Fender and Gotoh appear to weigh in at 4 ounces. I was hoping the Gotoh would add more weight to help offset the slight tendency for my MIM P4 to be neck heavy, but it makes no difference.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hmmmm...I couldn't tell a difference either. I thought it was just me.

An entirely new bass is definately in my future.
  4. Well playing live would be the real test. If you didn't notice any real difference, maybe just put the old bridge back on if you like the action lower. About a year ago in Bass Player magazine, they had a huge article entitled 75 ways to improve your tone, or something to that effect. Anyway it had tips in every area, but, when it came to bridges, two top guys (I think one was Roger Sadowsky, but, I forget the other) couldn't agree on which sounded better; a low mass stock bridge, or a heavy aftermarket replacement one. They both had valid points, but, I guess in the end, it's what sounds good to you.

Hope it all works out,
    Mike J.
  5. I saw a post mentioning the Fender catalog stating that a heavy, massive bridge kills tone. Roscoe Beck is quoted stating the massive Gotoh bridge smoothed out a lot of problems during the design of the RB5, so who knows? I've got a whole $15 invested in the Gotoh (including shipping) so no big deal. But... I like the way it LOOKS better than the cheesy MIM stock bridge.

I tried mix + match with the stock saddles on the Gotoh base plate, but the intonation screw size difference prevent this. Next thought is wasting time at the local Fender shop checking into MIA saddles to fit on the Gotoh base plate. If that doesn't work, I could enlarge the intonation screw holes in the base plate to accept the MIM saddles. One could waste WAY too much time on this.