1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gotoh 206 vs Fender Deluxe Bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 20, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am trying to decide b/n the gotoh 206 and fender deluxe bridge.

At this point I am favouring the gotoh 206 given that its higher mass, and I can buy it in black. My question does this bass have alot of side to side adjustment or just a little?

What I am looking for is:

-string thru
    -side to side adjustment
    -preferable higher mass
    -preferable black colour
    -preferable direct replacement for fender traditional style (neither of these bridges are)

DSCF0883.gif
    [​IMG]

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Look at the Schaller 2000 as well. They have some info on the Schaller page, and you can get them through AllParts. Available in black/silver/gold, high mass, fully adjustable, and ALL adjustments lock down - no chance of movement. I don't know if it can go string-through, though, but it does do quick changes (no holes to thread strings through) if you top load. Standard Fender hole pattern too - it drops right on.

- Tim

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The thing I dont like about the schallers is that their base is contoured. I know its supposed to reflect the contour of the neck, but I dont know... I find it more difficult to get the action the way I like it with the schallers.

Is it just a matter of taking more time to tweak the adjustments?

4. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Do you mean the 2000, or th Schaller Rollerbridge? The reason I asked is the picture of the 2000 looks as if it has a flat base, where the Roller bridge does have that goofy radiused design. I've had several roller bridges and never had a big problem with action. The place they fall short is when what you should have installed was a super-high mass bridge, the roller is not as solid.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
  6. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    The 2000 isn't - it's flat as a board, and you conform to the neck radius (or not) with the adjustments. Take a look - I suspect that the 2000 is NOT what you think it is . . . .

[​IMG]

- Tim

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Gotoh 206. I have one to install on an old Ibby when I get around to it. Very nicely made.
    The Schaller 2000 looks nice too in pics though I've never seen one, and I'd consider one based upon using other Schaller stuff I've had.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    hey Dharma,

Does the Gotoh 206 allow significant string spacing adjustment or just a small amount of adjustment? My current bridge has string spacing adjustment but the degree to which it can be adjusted is so small its almost nil in its practicality.

I like that schaller 2000 but at $130 its a little too pricey for me.

9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I think I got mine for less than than, but it was still over $100 for a 4 string, in black . . . . damn nice, though . . . . .

- Tim

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I don't recall OTTOMH and it's at the workshop so I won't see it till monday. The drawing I have from Gotoh says 18-20mm string pitch, which I hope id true as I'd prefer 18mm.

11. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    I have a Schaller 2000. It's heavier than a stock Fender bridge but it would be a stretch to call it high mass. It can't go string through body, it has the standard Fender 5-hole pattern. The big advantage is its wide adjustment range.

12. I'm generally a fan of higher-mass bridges - I just replaced a MIM Jazz bridge with a drop-in Gotoh 201, and can hear the improvement to my ears throughout the tonal spectrum even unplugged. Especially unplugged.

I say swap it out.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hmm... well I am not sure that 2mm is enough. I might have to forego the high mass and get the deluxe fender.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021