Gotoh 206 vs Schaller 463 or other adjustable width bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Hi,

My first thread and only second ever post. I searched the archive and did find a bit of info about these bridges but not enough to answer my questions.

The situation is that I need a replacement bridge for a not too bad bass that has a really cheap bridge with a non-standard bolt pattern (one screw in each corner). What this means is that no decent replacement will match the existing screw holes so I will have to drill no matter what. There is only one replacement that may fit and it looks like the same thing that is on there, which eventually bent from string tension over the last 10-15 years. Compounding the problem is that the original bridge was mounted slightly rotated downward so the G string runs a bit closer to the edge of the neck than I would like in the upper register. Even if the bridge were on straight, things may be a little closer to the edge than I like.

Seems to me that my best bet is to install an adjustable string spacing type bridge, hopefully I can get it on straighter than the stock bridge and then dial things in to my taste.

I know that a number of folks here like the Schaller roller bridges but my experience with some roller bridges (such as Kahlers) on guitars makes me wary. In those cases the roller bridges seemed to be tone killers. This may be different with basses in general due to the greater string mass relative to the bridge parts, but I am still concerned.

OTOH the Gotoh 206 bridge is not a roller type but still has a number of small parts and setscrews for adjustments. It has less of an adjustment range but probably enough for my use. I could not find very much at all on this forum about this bridge (one poster recommened it, I think).

Both bridges are in the same price range with the Gotoh coming in about $10 less.

Anyway, I am turning to the collective wisdom and experience of the board for help. Anyone have a strong preference between these two bridges? I am open to other suggestions but really don't want to spend much more on a bridge.

2. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    They're both fine bridges, and you really can't go wrong. Personally, I like the 206. It's a very nice bridge at a good price. The only real "feature" it lacks is the "quick stringing" thing that the Hipshots have. FWIW, the Schallers don't have it either. The 206 has no springs and everything locks in place with set screws, a real plus in my eyes. The Schaller is heavier, but my limited experience with high mass bridges suggests that weight doesn't make much difference.
  3. Thanks for the feedback. Funny thing, I recently found a picture and specs on a Gotoh 206B bridge that looks to be a quick loader. Uses the same saddles but it gives up the option of string through. Not sure if this is a new model or old but it does not pop up on many searches so I guess it is less available.

For the curious, it is about half way down this page:

AFA my decision goes, I have a little bit of time before I must place an order, so I would love to hear feedback from anyone else.

Thanks again,
  4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    And the problem with that is, neither one of those bridges will fit the 4 holes on your bass. You'll either have to drill or look elsewhere.
  5. Yup,

No problem with that Metal Mitch. My drill press is aching to get it on ;)

I just want to select the best bridge for my purposes before I order it.