Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotoh Bridge Prices...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ajax, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Ajax

Ajax

Feb 2, 2004
    Michigan
    I just bought a Red MIM Jazz Bass that has come equipped with a Chrome BAII bridge and Bassline p/ups. I want to rig it up with black hardware.
    I've found black Gotoh 4-string bridges priced at anywhere from $32 (Warmoth) to $60 (Allparts). Both pix look the same, but the difference in price has me wondering if the higher priced item isn't a better quality bridge. Does anybody know if Gotoh makes different 4-string bridges, or if Gotoh has a website that shows all their products? Thanks!

2. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Allparts has a wholesale/retail pricing structure, whereas we sell factory direct. I.e. a music store could get the bridge at a much lower price from Allparts, so they could mark it up at a profit to sell retail. Music stores buy our stuff at the same price customers do, which is why we don't sell much to music stores.

That said, it's the same bridge, and Gotoh does not have a good website that I know of. Our american made necks and bodies are expensive compared to import stuff, which is why we try to keep hardware prices as low as possible, so the whole instument costs less.

3. The company's English language web site appears to be:
    http://hosco.co.jp/www/HOSCO_ENGLISH/Pages/Gotoh.html

(I believe I looked at that web page in the past and they actually seem to have less
    information than they used to!)

I bought the black Gotoh 201 bridge from Warmoth and it was a "drop in"
    replacement for the bridge on my Yamaha RBX264.

I'd also like to put black tuners on my RBX 264 but I can't see anything which is
    a completely trivial drop in replacement.