1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gotoh GB 350 Res-o-lite too small

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I got a set of these tuning keys as a replacement on a Fender Jazz neck and the diameter is smaller than the stock tuners that they are replacing. Do I need to dowell with wood and redrill or is there some sort of sleeve I can put over them to fill the gap?

2. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    How much undersized are the bushings? If it's only slightly too small, you can put a few wraps of aluminum or copper tape around it to take up the slack.

3. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    There is quite a bit of play. I may look for some rubber tubing or grommet material and a thin washer for the back side to cover the gap. As far as I know these tuners only come in one size. They are very nice and extremely light so I want to make them work somehow.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Gotoh Res-o-lites and GB7's are not the correct swap-out size for Fender tuners. The Gotohs are 3/8", the Fenders are probably 1/2". Yes, you will need a substantial spacer for the mod. One simple route is to wrap black electrical tape until you meet the desired diameter.

Riis

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sounds like you just got the wrong key.

were the originals the big open-gear type?

if so, you need the big res-o-lites, the 640, or at least the 528.

i'd get the right part before trying to jerry-rig the wrong part.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Do they fit if you keep the original Fender bushings in there?

7. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    No, the shaft that you attach the strings to is a smaller diameter.

8. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I got some pvc tubing (thanks search) that I will try. Tape will be a backup plan.