1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gotoh GB640 -- NOT Fender drop in replacement?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JES, May 18, 2016.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

I got a set of Gotoh Res-o-lites (GB-640 vintage style). The spacing of two rear holes is slightly different for both a Fender Japan Jazz neck and a Fender USA Precision Fretless Neck (1979-80). I would have to drill the headstocks to install the Gotohs (which my computer autocorrects to "Goths"). I can switch tuners between the two basses and they fit exactly the same.

I thought these were supposed to be a drop-in replacement. Did I somehow get a bad set? Or is it expected that I will have to drill?

EDIT: or could I just install with the two front screws and not use the two back screws?

GB640 | G-GOTOH Ltd.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Your link goes to the vintage reverse tuners. Those don't have the same screw pattern as Fender basses from the 70's, or the Japanese Fenders that used similar tuners. They don't make a res-o-lite with that hole pattern. Just these... GB29 | G-GOTOH Ltd.

3. JES

JES Supporting Member

Ugh. So if I were to consider drilling into my Fender's headstock, would I be better off with the Res-o-lites that I have? The holes are a couple mm off so not totally in a different place. Presumably if I ever put the original tuners back on their wouldn't show. Or would I be better off with an Ultralite, since the hole from that definitely wouldn't show if I were ever to reinstall the original tuners?

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'd go with the ultralite tuners personally.

5. JES

JES Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd do that. the res-o-lites are excellent quality keys, lightweight or not.