1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gotoh Res-o-lite vs Hipshot?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chicago Al, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    I took a tuner off my bass (a Chowny SWB-1) and found that it weighed 65 grams. Though I love the bass, I would love it even more if the neck had an 'up' angle rather than hanging level. It does not 'dive'--I've had one of those--but it could be better. There are countless threads about tuner weight on this site and what I'm reading pretty consistently is that Gotoh Res-o-Lite GB350s are 40 grams, period, and that Hipshot Ultralites (not the licensed ones) are listed as 45, but may actually be a bit less. Seems to be about a $10-15 price difference including shipping, depending on vendor.

If it's really a 25 gram difference per tuner, that adds up to around 3.5 ounces and seems like it could easily be enough to make the difference I'm looking for.

I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow. I figure I will go with the Gotohs. If I want the most weight saved, might as well get all of it, right?

But...any suggestions welcome!

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Hipshot makes superb products and provides excellent customer service, too. Made here too.

Chicago Al likes this.
  3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I used the Gotohs once. Nothing wrong with them, but tge Hipshots seem sturdier - all my basses have Hipshot Ultralites.

The Ultralites vary a bit depending on a couple things:
    3/8 diameter posts with the Y keys are the lightest. Clover keys are a bit heavier, as are the 1/2 inch posts.

Chicago Al likes this.
  4. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    Yep, it's Y-keys I'm going with, 3/8". You're giving me something to think about!

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Chicago Al likes this.
  6. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    Huh! I have not seen those Schallers mentioned here, or anywhere before. Are they new? I also don't see any US retail sources, so though the price is reasonable (4=75eu or US$88) the shipping would drive that up a good bit. In any case I'm sure they're high quality.

But...I ordered the Gotohs today. US dealer, in stock, should have them pretty soon. I'll report back with my findings!

7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I use both, happy with that.

Chicago Al likes this.
  8. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Schallers are used by most manufacturers at one time or another, and are still used by fender on occasion. No that tuner is not new it has been out at least as long a the Gotohs have. They are available through most brick and mortar stores, but may have to be special ordered. The newest bass tuner they have out is the Da vinci, which has been out a couple years, unfortunately it offers no weight savings, though it does have an improved ratio due to the smaller capstan size.
    9___DAVINCI_BASS_SP.jpg

PawleeP likes this.
  9. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    That 'DaVinci' is really cool looking, fit for an Alembic or Sadowsky or something! I did a bit more looking and only found the Schaller M4 tuners through what seemed to be Euro sources. By the time they were shipped they were up in the $140-150 range. I don't doubt that they may be very fine tuners! Here's a talkbass thread I found from a few years ago: why does no one in the usa carry schaller M4-2000 tuners?

10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    They're available; here's an example https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n:11091801,n:!11965861,n:11965871,n:11967641,n:11968031,n:11968171,p_4:Schaller&ie=UTF8&qid=1507093059
    Incidentally the M4-2000 tuners have a different button and offer virtually no weight savings.
    Here's a little more comprehensive list of dealers North America | Schaller

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    Yes, as I said, doubtless good tuners but only Euro suppliers and relatively expensive. (Also very few reviews.) The least expensive set that would work on my bass (M4A 532A 2+2 Chrome) comes in, via your link, at $108 + $15 shipping, from Tobias Pohling, a dealer in Germany. That's $30 more than the Gotohs I ordered...and the Hipshots (US) would have been a bit less than the Gotohs.

I suspect Schaller has limited distribution in the US, because even looking at their US dealers, StewMac doesn't list these tuners in their catalog, and though Allparts does, they're $138 + shipping and 'not in stock.'

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    sissy kathy likes this.
  12. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    I received the Gotoh Res-o-lites and put them on the bass this morning. I weighed each and they all came in at exactly 40 grams, as compared to the stock no-name ones on the bass which were 65. The Res-o-Lites have a nice finish on them but are pretty clearly largely plastic, hence the 'res' for resin in their name. This doesn't bother me a bit. Losing the 100 grams/3.5 ounces total on my bass's neck brought the neck angle up, but not dramatically.

[Edit] I'd posted earlier that I saw no difference in the bass's weight, but I just checked my photo of the scale, and that was wrong. Actually it comes up 2 to 2.5 oz less, which is not as much as it 'should,' but the readings are inconsistent, and I'll say that is about as accurate as I can expect to be, weighing a large irregular object on a small scale.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    we could've easily seen Chowny SWB-1 with stock tuners, as there are plenty pictures of Scott Whitley with it on the net... but it would even be nicer if you post the final pictures of your lovely Chowny with the Res-O-Lites. :)

14. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    For future reference; if Allparts doesn't already stock the Schaller M-4 Lights, they can almost certainly get them. I had them special order the nickel BM-4 tuners for my Warmoth with no problem. And, I have my eye on those DaVinci's for a future project...:thumbsup: