Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotoh Res-o-lites?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi!

So I heard about these from TB member mrelwood, but he has been offline in the past few months...
    Has anyone heard about these?
    These machine heads are supposed to be even lighter than the Hipshot ultralites.

All I could so far find on the web was this page:
    http://www.cocosound.jp/cocosound/gotoh/bass_machinehead.htm
    but, my knowledge of kanji is very poor ;) (not to mention my browser doesn't even want to display the characters...)

Information is very welcome.
    What I'm especially curios about: Aki (mrelwood) got them in Europe - so they must be available somewhere. But where? And when? And how? And for how much?

Thanks in advance:
    Frank

2. Could be something like the Schaller Ultralights that are Kevlar and plastic. Extremely light and don't use a screw for mounting. The have a cast-in positioning pin you drill to accomodate and that keeps them from twisting. Warmoth sells them and has pics. I've got a pair for a project I'm finishing up. They are very light and that's what I'm needing for this one. The Gotoh's are something new. They weren't in their catalog a couple of years ago and I'm not surprised that Europe is getting them. In the last month or so, I've seen some really cool Japanese pieces - basses, parts, etc. that never made it to the good ol' USA. Dang!

3. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Via Babelfish:
    Note that "string" in Japanese gets translated as "chord" in the text above.

We get lots of stuff direct from Gotoh, but I've never seen these particular ones. I'll have to get a sample next time we order and check them out.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Hambone: Unlike the Schaller, this has screws. Also, it is sealed - and I prefer to have these two features.
    As for parts not making it there - believe me, you have many more parts that don't make it here! ;) :(

bwbass: Thanks for checking it out. Supposedly it was presented at NAMM, so maybe there are some around.
    Oh and since string is corde in French and variations thereof in other neo-Latin languages, it was not hard to figure out.
    BTW reading stupid eBay descriptions makes understanding Babelfish easier :D :smug: