Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotoh vs Schaller

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sippy, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey guys, I have an SX 62' reissue jazz bass. I'm looking to replace the bridge. I don't want to cut the grooves out and all that jazz (I call it the lazy effect) so the BAII is out.
    I found the Gotoh 201 4 String bridge, and the Schaller 463 4 string bridge. Which one would you guys prefer? I'm assuming they're both better than the SX bridge? Will they both bolt right on with not drilling? Thanks a lot!

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The Schaller won't. The Gotoh might, but I'd make sure first. What's wrong with the stock bridge?

3. mahc

mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    the gotoh 201 is a drop in for fender style basses, so no drilling is required for the sx. i just ordered a gotoh 201 and it is coming soon. ill post on if it makes any changes to the bass.

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

It's kinda cheap... but the main reason is that I'm switching all my hardware to gold. So I need a gold bridge and I figured I might as well upgrade in the process ;)

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Have you ever considered the Bad Ass II bridge? That thing has a lot of beef to it and really makes jazz basses sing.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Um..... Did you read the post you're responding to?
    :bag:

The Schaller won't bolt right on, you'll have to drill. The Gotoh will probably be a direct replacement.

7. Hi, a bit late, but her's my 5 cents:
    Schaller bridges totally kills your tone ( and not in a positive way ). I love the badass II, but since that's not an option, go for the gotoh.

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Ever looked at a Schaller 2000? I put on on my Fender P/J, and it was a direct drop-in, and definitely did NOT harm my tone at all - if anything, it got better, and unlike the BA-II, you don't have to finish machining it. Check the Schaller web page for more details, and Allparts stocks them . . .

- Tim