1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gotoh ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WildTrkey, Apr 4, 2009.

1. WildTrkey

WildTrkey Banned

Mar 1, 2009
    Was thinking of replacing the bridge on my Fiesta Red 50's Precision with something a little more substantial. Badass's don't really do it for me, so I was thinking Gotoh. A few questions:

1:Which model is the best direct replacement for this bass, fit-wise?
    2:Will the bridge cover (astray) fit over the Gotoh? It will influence my decision.
    3:Anyone have these on their precision or jazz? What are your experiences with them? Like them?

Thanks

2. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    The Gotoh 201 is a direct fender replacement with good grooves for the saddles. I love ashtrays too, and I believe the 201 should be as small as the bridge you have. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I played on one, and it is basically a better fender bridge. I'm sorry the badass won't do it for you, I have one and it is, well, badass! I'd say go with the GOTOH 201. They are about 30 bucks. Good luck!

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    does yours have the threaded saddles? if so, keep it! the fender usa/mex reissues use nice ferrous steel saddles, which when combined with the lighter weight of the bridge make for a good combination of attack, clarity, and "wood tone".

4. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    What if that's not the tone he's lookin' for?

5. Be aware that any bridge with a thicker bottom plate might require some shimming of the neck. They can raise the action up so high you can't get it low enough with just the saddle adjustment screws.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    then he's wrong!:D

seriously, if he wants a high-mass bridge for a different sound that's fine of course, i'm just saying that the bridge that's on there is actually a pretty nice piece, and an important part of the "vintage" tone. plus, the spacing is adjustable where the gotoh 201's is not.

7. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Oh what's in a bridge?

8. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    I think maybe he's looking for a more solid bridge? Is the Gotoh much higher in terms of string to body compared to the Fender?

BTW,

Does anyone know if they make the brass threaded saddles still?

9. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
  10. RH434

RH434

Aug 25, 2008
    Boiling Springs, PA
    This is true. While not a Gotoh, I just put a Hipshot on my Jazz and had to shim the pocket so that I could get decent action and set-up. The sustain was greatly improved and I am very happy with the results.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.