Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotta ask you folks a question about a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 10, 2004.

1. I once wanted a white leather jacket (back in the 90's), and was quickly shown the errors of my ways. That being said, what do you think about this bass?

[​IMG]

Is this bass a white leather jacket?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I dig that kinda parchment color with a black pickguard like that. I don't really dig basses that mix and match P Bass and J Bass style pickups. No particular reason outside of aesthetics.

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

No, this is more of a white high tops kind of thing...j/k :p

I like the color. Classic looking.

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I have always hated white guitars and basses

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Normally I'd be with you on this one zultan, but it's kind got that eggshell/off-white thing goin' for it.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's not so much the color I hate, it's the headstock. EEwww!

7. i thought someone had slipped me some acid when i saw the headstock, but i scrolled down and reliased the builder was on acid! ;)

looks great, the headstock IS weird to me, but i dont think its ugly! nice colour combo! :cool:

8. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Yes - That is one heck of a headstock :eyebrow:

It looks cool, to my eyes.
    Who's the maker ?

"If YOU like it - BUY it"

9. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah I agree. I generally am not too fond of white instruments, but that off-color with the black pickguard is a nice combo.

10. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I think it's pretty cool :) If white isn't a cool colour, you wouldn't see Sad's being offered in olympic white now would you? :D

Like what beammeup said - if you like it, buy it. Who cares what other people think? ;)

11. Agreed..Sad make a Great Olympic White

And GB Makes an equally Gorg Example

[​IMG]

YUM YUM YUM YUM..!!!!

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats my favorite Essex so far. Go for it!

13. Yup, that SX is really nice. Cheap PJ pickups must be growly as h3ll. Headstock shape stands out. I think I'd play this baby.

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    When I saw this bass newly listed on the site, I had a feeling it would raise lotsa eyebrows around here...

I'm still holding out for a 4-string natural ash Brice or SX J-bass (with blocks) before finally pulling the trigger. I e-mailed Kurt for availability, but never heard back from him.

15. white with black pickguard...im not to big on that, it seems like an inverse color thing is going on when i see something like that...

But if you like it, go ahead and buy it.

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I like everthing about that bass - the color, the headstock, and the pricetag! For $120.00, what-the-heck, go for it! It's probably cheaper than that white leather jacket too ;) .

17. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    Jesus christ of the damn latter day saints , that headstock is brutal. the color is great but headstock is like ....... like a hooker with a good body and a hideous face.

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like it--headstock and all.

Of course, I've got a white Bongo 5 string fretless on order, so what do I know. :eyebrow: :bassist:

19. I agree that the headstock is ugly, and I'm still on the fence about the color. The headstock is ugly, but in a 70's-Stratocaster-bigheadstock kind of way so it's kind of cool. I have seen worse. My favorite P-Bass color combo is butterscotch blonde with a black pickguard - this is almost close. Here are another few shots:

[​IMG] [​IMG]