1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gotta clear this up mates^^ Steve Harris gallop..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    So okay guys, heres the case heh, I from the start thought and read that Harris played only two fingers, but then i saw on some topic people saying he plays 3 finger to make galloping sound. So i asked at technique forum how to play 3 fingers good, and some guy point out he only plays two fingers! So im really confused now:/ Does he play two finger both normally and for gallop? Or he uses 3 fingers for gallop:S?

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    most people find it more natural to get the gallop using 3, but from what i've seen he only uses 2 most of the time.

as long as it gallops it doesn't really matter how many fingers you use, but with 3 it should be easier and less strain on your right hand.

3. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i read in a bass guitar magazine that he played with three fingers and used his nails in some way, and if he broke one his tone would change or something like that.

Dave

4. Charred

Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    I've been a Harris fan since seeing the Killers tour 1979. Every video shot Ive seen has shown him using 2 fingers only. And contrary to many posts Ive seen here and other places, he uses a VERY light touch. Vor many 'trans-string' passages he actually using 1 finger only. "Phantom/Opera" mid-section for example. Very odd techinque and hard to imitate. I find it easier to play his stuff well using 3 fingers.
    The challenge with playing Maiden tunes WELL, is not in learning the notes themselves, but in capturing the ENERGY with which he plays them. His dynamics are very aggressive, but very precise and musical. Therein lies the beauty of his melodies. You almost have to be in a 'Harris' state of mind to play his stuff effectively. You can almost hear the athleticism in his playing. I find myself as emotionally fatigued as physically so, after playing prolonged Maiden stuff.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, i thikn im sure now, at maidenfans.com theres a interview where people got to ask him questions, he said Two fingers only! Thats what i thought from the start, and i feel much more comfortable galloping on 2 fingers, no problem, i use my middle finger and then quickly the indexfinger after and then do that over and over again, im not lightning fast yet tho;) But soon:) Anywaygood news^^

6. Deeeeemooooon, don't you trust my word? :D :D :D :D

I'm the guy saying he is using two fingers. Glad to see that you also found the article about him saying so. Would you mind giving the link to that article here, as I will save and will put every time someone comes to tell "but he is using 3 fingers, I've seen this on his videos..." (so probably once a week :D :D :D )

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm