Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotta get a Fender, P or Jazz?! PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bean2k3, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Bean2k3

Bean2k3

Mar 4, 2004
    Alrite, im a former guitarist-turned-bassist (guitar for 2 years, bass for a year), i currently have a 5 string ibanez SR which suits my heavy style playing, being able to hit those low notes while and the active circuitry to boost whichever ends necessary.
    Im currently looking to get a new, simple four string exclusively for slaping. Ive narrowed my selection and price range to Fender's Precision or Jazz bass but im just wondering if anyone would have some constructive feedback or details on the American/Deluxe/Standard series they come in.

You can get me on msn or just reply if youve got any advice, thanks in advance
    Braido

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    If you really want to get a Fender, I would suggest a USED MIM Jazz (MIM = Made in Mexico) but I would suggest you look around for a different Company... Fender is on my bad list...

BTW, BUY USED, it is Much cheaper... Also what amount of money do you wish to spend?

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It's all about features.

Standard - made in Mexico often referred to as MIM Fenders. Nice basses (IMO), alder bodies, hot pickups, but not as smooth sounding as the Deluxe Series or the American Series. Also has lower quality parts (tuners, bridge, etc) than the other two series.

Deluxe Series - the country of origin depends on the model. The Aerodyne is Made in Japan, the Zone Deluxe is Made in Mexico as is the Precision Special. Not sure on the Active Jazz. Someone here will know. Better electronics, upgraded tuners and bridges. I like this series quite a bit.

American Series - Top of the line, but not Custom Shop. Made in the USA and has excellent electronics, nice accessories, and great parts. They also tend to have more features such as the S1 switch and options of neck types (rosewood or maple). Generally come with case.

You pretty much have to play a variety to decide which is best for your needs. Some will say that the quality of the MIM's vary quite a bit but I have found over the last couple of years that they have been quite good. The American series feels very solid in construction and sounds (to me) very good. For me to go any further is to subject you to my very biased opinion. Go play them and then decide based on what your hands and ears tell you. You may be surprised with what you pick. Or maybe not :).

Dan

PS. Funk You - Don't dissuade someone from an interest in Fender. Let them play one and decide for themselves if that is the right choice.

4. Bean2k3

Bean2k3

Mar 4, 2004
    Well, the whole reason why i asked was that my local music store is doin a special on fenders and ive often leaned towards them because of their history. Also because some of my fav bassists play on them (Tim from RATM, Simonon from the Clash). The problem with that tho, is tim plays the jazz, simonon plays the precision...

What im really looking for is a simple, slap and tap, beat em up, hit em with paint, and really trash it guitar... i prize my ibanez cuz its my baby but im missing an 'angry time' guitar.

5. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    |f you want if for slapping the fender jazz would be best, and a used one would be suggested. | would never pay full price for a Fender. and get a ragidy looking one, the old busted or "battered" look seems quite popular with Fender players.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If your purpose is to slap, id get a jazz.

7. For slap, Jazz is the best.

8. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    american jazz deluxe(actice electronics), maple neck.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I would go for the Jazz as well then. I know I slap really easy on my Jazz. I could on the Precision as well but the Jazz just seems easier.

Dan

10. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    They make a P/J. It has a P-body, a J-neck. It's a MIM that normally goes for around $600.

11. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    go for a mexican jazz, then do series wiring on the pickups (with a switch so you can go back to parallel wiring) and you'll have a killer bass! trust me.... I got one

12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, for slap, the Jazz sounds better IMO. However, for straightforward rock and punk, the P rules. If you like Jimmy Eat World, Sum 41, Pat Travers Band, The Ramones, Green Day, various Motown stuff that Jamerson and Bob Babbitt played on, etc., you're going to dig the P.

Timmy C. plays a Jazz, but it's got hand-wound pickups (by the great Tim himself), and he uses various secret :rolleyes: boxes and amp mods to get his tone.

If you get a Jazz, I agree with panazza (and many others) about the series/parallel mod. It's very cool.

Looking at the P-J's is also a good idea. Keep the P punch and have a slappable bass, too.

13. Actually I have a sunburst MIM P Special described above I'd be willing to let go for $300. It's a good slapper (especially since it has a maple neck and fretboard.).

Where are you located?

PS The only reason I wanted to sell it was to get a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub or a Steinberger XL, but that's another thread...

14. It's true that Jazz Basses are more popular for slap, because of their fuller, more complex sound, P Basses can also sound pretty cool for slap. It just depends on what sort of slap sound you're looking for.

15. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I dont see where these Mex's are much cheaper used. Guy here is quoting $300. They're about $380 new. This seems to be case on ebay as well. If a thing is already low-priced i dont think youre saving much. But i am a sucker for throw-ins like a case.
    Meanwhile i saw this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3713837125&category=38079

going soon. Seems a great deal but im bassed out right now. There's also a MIJ that looks great. And a PRecision that seems very nice but the buynow is 10 grand.

16. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Jazz, dammit!

17. Oh really? I paid $599 new. Where do you shop? This is the Precision Special. The only reason I'm thinking of selling it is the Lakland conversion sweeping thru the TB Fender community and the other bassists I admire (Osborne, Dunn).

18. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Ah, Special. sorry I overlooked that. It goes back to the original question of what these different levels are.

19. No big. Like I said, mine's a p body, j neck (maple/maple, part--nah, the whole reason I bought it), p-j pickups, sunburst with gold adonized pickguard.

[​IMG]