Gotta get a real preamp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    On Wednesday, we were playing at a small club. I was using my SABDDI into an ART levelar through my power amp driving my Avatar 212. I usually use a 210 and 212, each running off one side of the amp (mono signal sent to each side.) Since it was a small gig, I only brought my 212. I am lucky it was a medium volume affair, or I would have been left in the dust. I was using only one side of the amp, but at a potential 425 watts, I still should have had more oomph available ( all volumes were wide open.)

Yesterday, I drag out my stuff for experimentation. I had in my shed an old , a well worn Peavey Probass 1000 preamp that belongs to a buddy. I hooked it up and had tons and tons of volume to spare. Since I had been using both sides of the amp before, volume was never a problem. I thought I was cool with my little rig, but I was wrong. I definately have to get a real preamp.

I should just use this old Peavey, but it has some issues, and I am scared to use it at the gig.
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Get a Sansamp RBI. It has the sounds you like with the volume you need.
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Old Peavey stuff rules. As long as it hasn't been abused.

There are tons of good preamps out there.

I don't want to turn this into a "for sale" thread, so I'll PM you, I have a preamp I bought cheap for a spare and I've since moved to using a head. No big deal if you're not interested, I like it enough to hang onto it so I haven't actively tried to sell it.

Other pre's I've liked include Ashdown RPM (but low output, some power amps didn't like it), SWR Interstellar Overdrive (the only SWR product I've liked), Ampeg SVP Pro, and even an old Marshall 9000 series guitar preamp, on the clean channel.