Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotta love movies...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was watching "Bird" this evening, the movie Clint Eastwood made about Charlie Parker. In one scene at an Rock and Roll show in 1954, Buster Franklin's musicians caught my eye. The guitar player had a pointy headstocked instrument but the real kicker was the bass player. Had a nice sunburst MusicMan Stingray 4.

Left there by aliens? Maybe.

You'd think they'd have a technical advisor on a movie about a musician;)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Speaking of movies, spot these gems:
    Zon in Airheads
    Eden in Half Baked

More? I can't think of them off the top of my head.

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Has anybody rented that movie that's in the new release section at Blockbuster with Rene Zellwegger sitting next to a red Squier? She's got that come hither look to her. I suspect that if she saw me at a gig we would hook up.

4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    theres also a PRS with a dragon inlay( he smashed it :eek: :mad: ), and a nice mapex set in Airheads, somebody must have known something about gear to have all of that stuff. peace;)

5. As far as the movie Bird goes in all honesty the guitar and bass players could be playing B.C. Rich Beasts and I still would love the flick.
    True flaw but what the heck. :D

Sounds great in surround sound.
    No Die Hard great but great its own way.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm pullin' for ya buddy!!

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Am I the only living male that cannot identify a bass on sight?! You could put 30 different basses in front of me, and I might be able to identify a Fender in there somewhere.

8. No, you aren't the only one. I could ID a Fender, but there are so many Fender clones with the same style headstock. G&L has a fairly unique headstock, but I couldn't identify much else at a glance.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Can you identify this bass?:

[​IMG]

10. Which scene in half baked has an EDEN???

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope. But.... I could tell you who he is, who he's played with, and I could tell you what his significant recordings are, and I could play the bass lines from said recordings.

:D ;) :)

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You could have said "Booty's Bass" and got full credit. :mad: :D

13. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    in the scene with Jon Stewart, as he's talking to Scarface... "you ever seen the back of a $20 bill..... ON WEED???"

... there are a bunch of instruments behind him in his apartment including a drumkit, marshall halfstack... and.............

an eden 210!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You haven't got out enough! To music shops that is! ;) I have made a point over the last 20 years or so of getting to try every type of bass I can find in music shop for at least 20 minutes or so - if I see a new one, I always make a point of getting it off the wall and familiarising myself!

I can spot any bass type from the length of the Bass Centre in London! :D

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Actually, he would have only gotten partial credit, unless Booty bought the bass from Bootsy.

Just bustin', your chops, PoT, just bustin' your chops.

Peace,

James

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    :mad:

stole my thunder:D

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Brad, you just don't get it, do you? Don't you remember that long talk we had where we discussed how Leo briefly started to make MusicMans, until he realized he'd have a better shot at making Fenders?

IIRC, from our previous discussion, you'd mentioned YOURSELF about how you'd love to come across one of those pre-Fender MM's!!!:D

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Ah, i forgot the S. That "S" really means a lot, doesn't it.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and the cats on Happy Days(Richie "The C", Potsie, & Ralph)NEVER, EVER played pre-CBS Fender instruments/amps!
    This was supposed to be a show from the '50s, right? C'mon!

:D

20. The next time you watch the movie, "Goodfellas," watch for a scene in which they're near the airport, and the year 1963(64?) appears on the screen, and they show you a Boeing 747 landing....

Stumped?

The maiden flight of the 747 was 1969!

Mike J.