Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GOTTA NECK BOW FO SHO'!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by luknfur, Oct 28, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Did a search and was suprised to come up nill.

Have a cheap bass with a bow that's not worth the effort but I was curious as to any fix's that actually work, are permanent, and don't require monthly payments thereafter.

I'm not a luthier but I know that a given piece of wood has a marked tedency to behave in certain ways - which are not fond of interuption. Ran across mention of steaming but, from what I gather, that is for removing the fretboard not straightening a neck - although I know steaming is used to bend some woods. Ran across a piece about shimming a truss rod which may have some merit if the truss rod is readly accessible.

Since it hasn't been addressed from what I could tell, a post seemed in order.

----------------------------

IT'S ABOUT TIME! (Ted Williams)

2. Check out the setup forum, there's tons of info in there on this.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    oops. Your right. Apparently it didn't occur to me to limit my search to titles only to skip 500 pages of truss rod adustment. Should have known. Seemed too wierd.

Hmm. I'd say a flame could only do this bass some good!

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Hate to say this in a way but it may be helpful to someone with a similar issue. The bass was a cheap bass and not much good as it was so I really didn't have anything to loose by snapping the truss rod. I muscled down and it actually resolved enough of the problem to make the bass playable.

I grew up tinkering with aluminum motorcycle engines and quickly learned not to crank down on those parts as with steel car engines. I've since grown rather to have something fall off than snap off. It's never failed to date but pushing the parameters in this case worked fairly well.